How do I keep deer away?

FlipturnSue SmithMorgan McBride
+3

Just planted a new tree hydrangea. The deer seem to think the new growth is very tasty. What can I spray to keep them away? There's tons of green around here! They don't need my new plants!

• Oliva

Liberally zpray with Liquid Fence, which comes as a concentrate. Shake very well, then mix with water, as directed. Shake again, very well.

Apply with a garden sprayer or good quality 32 ounce spray bottle.

Spray on a wind free day when no rain is expected for a few hours.

Cover leaf surfaces thoroughly (top and bottom), as well as branches and surrounding ground area.

Spray weekly, the first month or two, then monthly, thereafter.

Best to spray in evening, as it smells of rotted eggs for a few hours, but really works well, especially on hydrangeas.

The sooner you apply it, the better luck you'll have keeping deer away.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Human hair spread around will keep them away. You can probably get it at a local hair dresser for free.

Irish spring shredded will keep them away.

Liquid Fence as Oliva mentioned, as well.

• Morgan McBride

Human urine keeps deer away :)

• Flipturn

Speaking from personal experience, I would say do not waste your money on products or any other schemes that claim to 'deter' deer. I've tried them all. Any odor there is will be short lived, as it will quickly dissipate into the air.

Deer love to eat new flowering plants and have an incredible ability to know where they are and how to get at them.

Only netting will keep the deer from accessing your plants. It is a one-time cost when purchased and is maintenance free in almost all weather conditions.

• Sue Smith

well, I went out this morning and they have done alot of damage to that poor plant. I think I will try the netting. My neighbor tried the stinky spray, and it worked for a very short time, but the critters were back quickly. Tree hydrangeas are not an inexpensive plant. I have to do something or there won't be any leaves left. they are even breaking the branches off.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Sue

• Flipturn

Yep, sounds like normal deer to me.

Netting, or tall fencing are the only solutions that will really work.