Fun Unique IKEA Vintage Aquarium Hack.

$60

The other day I went with my friend to IKEA. I was only really tagging along for the ride and the promise of a free meatball lunch. Anyway when I was in the shop I spotted their Vidja floor lamp which gave me an idea.

I had a lovely collection of stunning vintage fish illustrations (you can get them for free here). These fishes were so bright and colourful, I'd been looking for a fun way to display them. The floor lamp gave me the idea to illuminate them so that the fish look like they are swimming around in an aquarium.

So I bought one of the IKEA VIDJA floor lamps. When I took it home I saw that the light was of a simple design. The shade was made up of three sections of simple cream paper that Velcro closed around a metal ring.

I measured the size of these cream shades and then on the computer I designed a fish pattern for each shade. I used the original fish illustrations. I then printed these fish designs on to standard paper. You can download my designs for free from the blog (link at the end).

I then built the floor lamp according to the instructions that came with it. They were very straight forward and easy to follow.

Once the cream shade was put together with the Velcro, I then placed a strip of double sided sticky tape either side of the join. I then wrapped the printed fish design around the shade and used the double sided sticky tape to fix it.

I used a different fish design for each shade.

I love how the lamp looks with the vintage fish, it's like one tall skinny tropical aquarium.

The best thing about this IKEA hack is that it's easy to change the pictures when you fancy a change. I have a collection of fabulous vintage butterfly images on my blog (see here) and I think these would also look fantastic on a VIDJA floor lamp.

Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Claire Armstrong

• Diana
    Diana

Absolutely ❤️ this! Perfect for my Shabby Coastal decor! My question is, what size paper did you use? Please & Thank You! 🐳🐠🧜🏼‍♀️

• Claire at Pillarboxblue
      Claire at Pillarboxblue

The paper was the same size as the shades I printed it on to A2 the trimmed to size. The details or on the blog. Thank you 😊

• Na
    Na

Can you imagine if you did 3 different images? The bottom fish the middle is a water surface and the top the sky with birds and clouds.

• Ducky
    Ducky

I agree, it’s a lovely and fun lamp idea. What would we do without creative people? And especially when they share the work! Thank you!

• Connie Sherman
    Connie Sherman

I dont care for that type of floor lamp but you turned it into so.ething amazing... I love to see the butterfly lamp if you every do it....you are very creative to look at something g bland and make it special ! Thanks

• Valerie Burge
    Valerie Burge

That's so cute!!! The lamp has so much more character now.