Fun Unique IKEA Vintage Aquarium Hack.

$60

The other day I went with my friend to IKEA. I was only really tagging along for the ride and the promise of a free meatball lunch. Anyway when I was in the shop I spotted their Vidja floor lamp which gave me an idea.

I had a lovely collection of stunning vintage fish illustrations (you can get them for free here). These fishes were so bright and colourful, I'd been looking for a fun way to display them. The floor lamp gave me the idea to illuminate them so that the fish look like they are swimming around in an aquarium.

So I bought one of the IKEA VIDJA floor lamps. When I took it home I saw that the light was of a simple design. The shade was made up of three sections of simple cream paper that Velcro closed around a metal ring.

I measured the size of these cream shades and then on the computer I designed a fish pattern for each shade. I used the original fish illustrations. I then printed these fish designs on to standard paper. You can download my designs for free from the blog (link at the end).

I then built the floor lamp according to the instructions that came with it. They were very straight forward and easy to follow.

Once the cream shade was put together with the Velcro, I then placed a strip of double sided sticky tape either side of the join. I then wrapped the printed fish design around the shade and used the double sided sticky tape to fix it.

I used a different fish design for each shade.

I love how the lamp looks with the vintage fish, it's like one tall skinny tropical aquarium.

The best thing about this IKEA hack is that it's easy to change the pictures when you fancy a change. I have a collection of fabulous vintage butterfly images on my blog (see here) and I think these would also look fantastic on a VIDJA floor lamp.

Claire Armstrong

• Charlee Ford

I'm already planning this out in my head! I have images of the fish you used but they are on fabric. I'm just wondering if the light would filter thru as it does the paper? This is an awesome idea by the way.

• Linda Hunt

Dear Claire, what a marvellous way to think out of the box on this on and I may someday become a fan of Ikea but I think I am stretching the truth on that one, whahaha. Now for the most important part of this note may I please copy your idea almost exactly? My grown son is a fish tank man with out any cool lighting in his home except in his tanks, haha. This is suitable for the wee ones and the ones who are still wee ones at heart. I am so impressed with the talent that brought this one together. Bask in the glory after you pat yourself on the back... regards, Linda

• Diana

Absolutely ❤️ this! Perfect for my Shabby Coastal decor! My question is, what size paper did you use? Please & Thank You! 🐳🐠🧜🏼‍♀️

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

The paper was the same size as the shades I printed it on to A2 the trimmed to size. The details or on the blog. Thank you 😊