Quick and Easy Faux Mosaic Tulip Art

$2

I've always loved the look of traditional mosaics, whether it's tile, broken china, or whatever really... there's something so interesting about creating a picture out of bits and pieces.

So I decided to give it a try for a recent project challenge on my blog, but I went with a very quick and easy version.

quick and easy faux mosaic tulip

For my mosaic art I'm using something that can easily be found at any home improvement store... electrical tape.

Did you know that it comes in these fabulous colors? It's very cool stuff because it has just the right amount of sticky for a project like this.

I used a wider version of the tape to create my faux tile backsplash here in my aqua and red kitchen.

I'm creating my faux mosaic art by repurposing a $1 thrift store quiche pan with a removable bottom, which makes it much easier to create the picture.

quick and easy faux mosaic tulip

The electrical tape can easily be spray painted to if you want to customize your colors like I did.

I painted some white electrical tape pink, some dark blue tape an aqua blue, and some dark green tape an apple green.

quick and easy faux mosaic tulip

Then I just started cutting out pieces of the tape to create my tulip picture.

quick and easy faux mosaic tulip

Here's how I did that.

I used my cutting mat, placed the tape down, and then cut it into whatever shapes I needed using an xacto knife.

It really went very quickly.

quick and easy faux mosaic tulip

Here it is with my two leaves added.

Before starting to lay the pieces of tape down I spray painted the quiche pan bottom a cream color.

quick and easy faux mosaic tulip

Then I just cut random pieces of the blue and green tape and put them down in a way that looked good to me.

There really is no right or wrong here.

And because it's electrical tape, which can be easily removed, you can easily fix any misplacements.

quick and easy faux mosaic tulip

When I was finished I placed it back into the quiche pan frame. I love how the fluted edging looks with the mosaic picture.

This really is a quick and easy project with an amazing outcome.

It would be even quicker if you the tape's original colors for whatever picture you wanted to make.

To see more pics and tips please check out my Faux Mosaic Art blog post here.

Tuula @ Color Me Thrifty

• Pbkmeme

Cutest thing ever. Very clever!

• Kay

Hi, I have sone questions about your project. Could you use sissors to cut the tape, instead of a knife. Allso, did you make this pattern free hand. I was wondering if I could draw @ pattern first, then cut and stick the pices into the pattern. Lastly The spaces in between look like grout, but I was wondering, if you could use silicone in between the spaces, to create @ more realistic look. I love this. I think with some faux grout in between the spaces, it would make it seem more like real mosaics. You could even seel it to, if you wante'd @ more shiny look. Thanks so much in advance for @ repiy. Thanks allso for sharing @ fabulous project Kay Adelaide Australia

.

• Tuula @ Color Me Thrifty

Hi Kay! When using scissors I think you may lose control of creating the shapes that you want. Laying it down on the cutting mat and then cutting lets you see the shapes before you actually use them. The whole idea of a faux mosaic is that you don't have to use any grout. That's really what makes this a much easier project than the real thing. I don't think it would be possible to use any kind of grout between the tape pieces. Just painting the pan bottom white really was enough to make it look like grout. You can only tell this is not real mosaic when you're up close. I hope this helps.