Pat
Pat

Can you repaint a shower enclosure?

Kathy HealdKrafty Mrs.KDee
+7

We have an old metal shower enclosure in our basement that’s peeling inside. It is still sturdy and doesn’t leak. Can it be repainted and if so how do you do it without the paint washing off?

q can you repaint a shower enclosure
  • LK

Sand and paint with exterior paint. I just did this in fiberglass walls snd it looks great. Just no abrasive cleanser. I would think metal would be easier. Of course, pre-clean away soap scum.

Clean it well. Prime with Kilz primer then paint with exterior enamel paint. Epoxy paint would also work but can be messy and does smell.

• Gk

Here's some information for you Pat. You will need a primer for metal. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/paint-metal-shower-enclosure-40959.html

• Dee

I would prime it with Auto primer. Then lightly sand. Rustoleum makes a great auto primer. I would then get Rustoleum paint in the color of your choice. It is going to be stinky so have lots of ventilation.

Call Rustoleum customer service number 1 (877) 385-8155 they will be a tremendous help.

• Krafty Mrs.K

With good sanding I would think those tub and tile paints (epoxy) would work and be more durable than house paint.

Could you tile over it?

• Kathy Heald

I have done it. First I used stripper to remove all the layers of peeling paint. Then I used a outdoor paint. I believe it was oil based. It adhered perfectly for as long as we lived there. And cleaned easily.