Five Little Items Makes a Wonderful Shelf

$10

I have been trying to figure out what I wanted to put behind my washer and dryer in my laundry room redo. Since I needed a catchall shelf for my children’s forgotten items or grandchildren’s forgotten items a shelf seem like the best way to go. While out shopping in the local thrift store I found some brackets but they were wood so I went to work to make a little rustic shelf for my laundry room .

five little items makes a wonderful shelf

It was bare behind washer and dryer and items often fell behind.

I had picked up these wooden brackets at the local thrift store sale, I only paid a dollar apiece but I’m sure they are fairly cheap as I read the IKEA sticker on the back up them. I personally did not want wood brackets but I knew I could change them up.

I grabbed my rest oleum gloss silver metal paint.

Once I got my wood brackets spray painted to look metal, I got my stud finder and my little level and started finding the best spot for my brackets to be hung.

I purchased three 1 x 4’s at the local hardware store for like $1.50 apiece. Once I figured out placement of my brackets I cut the length of the boards. And even have some leftovers for another project. I did a light sand and went over with my nutmeg stain that I used on my stairs. I purposely picked rustic boards to give them my rustic look.

Finalizing placement of boards I left the boards the length of cabinets to give it balance. I made sure to raise it up just a touch from the back of the washer and dryer so if I had an off-balance load it would not affect the shelves.

I left a gap in between each board to give it even a different look. The more rustic the better.

I made sure to use the boards that had the imperfections in the front for more of my rustic look.

Here is my completed shelf I love it it’s a great catch all my kids know to go to the shelf to look for what they’ve left my home. This took like next to no time not a lot of skills needed but I gave it a really nice look . This is such an easy project I hope you enjoy it thank you.

• Carey

I had purchased a new Frontload Washer & Dryer & my husband got the drawers for under them. I too had problems with things falling behind and that was a major issue since there was no way that I could reach them. So I was looking for a solution to the problem. First I put an old rug on top of them which really did help, but still didn't completely solve the problem. Then I went to a thrift store and saw some of those wire shelves for organizing a closet. They looked to me like they were a good length, so I purchased them and put them on top of the rug with the angle up against the wall. It worked very well to keep things from falling behind the washer & dryer. Now I have moved to a new home & again wanted something that would solve that problem. There is a shelf, High above my washer & dryer, which is virtually unusable for me since I can't possibly reach it. Then I was looking in the Habitat for Humanity store, and found a cabinet that fits perfectly under that shelf & provides nice additional storage as well as preventing stuff from falling behind. I put the rug under the cabinet so that my Washer & Dryer are still protected from wear. There is just enough room beside them to keep my soap jug making it easy to put the soap into the washer. The one thing that I yet have to do, is to put a board under the two sides of it so that the door will be easier to open & close. My Utility Room is MUCH more useable now!

• Ruth

Thank you Carey!