Olga Lelya Gee
Olga Lelya Gee
  • Brooklyn, NY

How do I restore my white sink to it's former glory?

OlivaOlga Lelya GeeClay B
+8

I rent an apt in one of NYC's pre-WWII buildings. It's charming, but some of the hardware could use a little TLC. My kitchen sink is all scratched up & brown. Is there anything I can do to restore it, or at least make it look clean? Thanks!

q how do i restore my white sink to it s former glory
  • Yellowbug49

They sell a special paint to resurface sinks, bathtubs etc. but beware it smells to high heaven and you have to let it sit for at least thirty days before you can safely use it. I actually did this to a bathtub and it has held for ten years.

• Bushra

Olga, it's an easy fix. This is what I do. Buy a clog plumber gel and spread it over, then sprinkle the backing soda over it. let it sit for 30 minutes and scrub it. Don't forget to wear gloves. This is my own invented special tips and saved my life several times with it.

I hope it helps! Bushra- https://bushraslifestyle.com/

• Gk

It looks like an old cast iron sink that has seen it's days and the enamel is worn off and scratched. It would be hard to repair. You could just cover it with a sink mat

• Jenni

You might be able to remove the stains and any rust with Mr Clean Magic Eraser(s). No detergents or chemicals. Then you could paint it. Those Erasers have saved many things from the trash can. I hope you find the answer.

• Joao Mendonca

A bit of Hydrogen Peroxide, and some baking soda as a gentle abrasive

• Dmotan

Love the idea of clog plumber gel and baking soda. Wow, that's amazing.

I bet it might work on the floor of fiber glass showers which get really bad after year of use.

Easy Off No Fume Oven Cleaner.

• Clay B

Bar Keepers Friend (powder cleaner) , the oven cleaner idea will also likely work. Once Clean, use Bar Keepers Friend once in a while.

• Olga Lelya Gee

Drano Gel + Baking soda worked wonders! Here's the result

• Oliva

Bar Keeper's friend, applied to wet surface, using a very light touch in conjunction with a Magic Eraser. When clean, apply 2 coats of a high quality car wax. Rinse and dry your sink, at least nightly.