Vintage Chair Chalk Painted With Hand Painted Dandelions Video

$24

I love chalk painting old chairs! It's way more fun than reupholstering in my book!

I'll show you how to paint a fabric chair so it still feels soft. Also including a how to video on painting dandelions. These are super easy and can be painted on just about anything!

First thing you should always do is PREP! This step is very important. This ensures proper adhesion. Clean well with a degreaser, wipe with a damp (water) cloth, then scuff sand any wood. Wipe again.

Gather your supplies. Spray bottle full of water, large paint brush (I prefer the large round cling on), a small detail brush for edges, a mixing cup, and 220 grit sandpaper.

One thing to remember when chalk painting fabric is you want to stain the fabric, not lay paint on it.

Water down your paint using a 50/50 ratio. Working in small sections, spray the fabric with your spray bottle. You want the fabric to be wet, not just damp. Then paint those wet sections with your watered down paint. Really work the paint into the fabric. Be sure to get into all the creases and use a smaller brush for the trim areas, avoid getting a lot of paint on the frame. Repeat this sequence until the entire chair has the first coat

The first couple of coats will look terrible, but don't panic, it will look amazing once finished!

It will take 3-6 hours for the paint to dry completely. To speed up the process, have a fan blowing on the chair. Once dry, sand the paint with 220 grit sandpaper. This will soften the paint.

It will take 4-6 coats for full coverage. So continue spraying with water, painting, and then sanding after each coat until you achieve the desired look.

Now that you have a freshly painted and sanded down chair, let's work on the dandelions. For this design, use non watered down chalk paint and do not spray the fabric. This ensures the design won't run. I did a 2 part video to show you just how to get these beautiful dandelions and the floating seeds

After your design has dried, we can now seal the fabric! I prefer behr clear wax for this project. It's a nice smooth wax that goes on easily and buffs to a nice shine.

Add a bit to a foam applicator, or applicator of your choice, and work the wax into the paint in a circular motion. Be sure not to get any on the frame! That will inhibit paint adhesion. Give the wax 10-15 minutes to dry, and using an old cotton tshirt, buff the wax in a circular motion.

Now you can paint the frame. Some people prefer painting the frame first, I prefer to do it last. It's all personal preference.

Be sure the frame is clean and free of wax or dust. Tape off the fabric where it meets the frame to ensure no paint transfers to tour freshly painted and waxed fabric. Now, paint away!

I chose to paint the frame in the same off white color as the dandelions. Its a homemade chalk paint using calcium carbonate and behr off white color paint. It took 3 coats total and I sanded using 220 grit sandpaper in between coats to smooth out any brush marks.

After your final coat has dried and it's been sanded, seal it with the behr clear wax.

I then went over the frame with black wax to enhance the details, wiping off any excess

And that's it! That's how I got this beautifully chalk painted dandelion chair!

Let me know if you paint these dandelions as well! They are my fav and I'd love to see your projects!

Follow me on Facebook and Instagram at Deer Run Revamps to see more unique pieces!

To see more: https://m.facebook.com/deerrunrevamps/?ref=bookmarks

• Angi

I want to try this so very much, so have been reading anything I come across, to implant the knowledge in my head prior to jumping in lol. So my question is this... another blog I read said not to use wax to seal, because it breaks the paint down almost immediately, on the fabric. But, I'm wondering if the difference is that she was using fabric softener to dilute, so the paint didn't come out crispy, on microfiber, doing a faux leather look. It came out amazing! So, these must be two entirely different techniques? I will be trying both, that's for sure lol. Thanks so much for sharing your hard earned skills and knowledge!😎🙏🏼

• Maria Vivier

I found a great dining room chair for $5 it was a horrible army green. I followed directions and painted it with white chalk paint the stenciled a beautiful floral pattern on it. It looked great in my bedroom at my vanity but then it started cracking badly on the seat and now on the “shoulders” of the chair. I want to paint it black now. How do I fix the cracked paint? I am ready to buy spray paint at this point. Any ideas on what I did wrong or how to repaint it??

• Deer Run Revamps

You needed to add more water amd lighter coats. You want to stain the fabric, not paint it. You're going to have to sand off majority of the paint that isn't soaked in, and try again. Making sure the paint is soaking into the fabric and not just sitting on top

• Kelly.parcher

Can this be done on leather? Have two leather sofas that need help and can’t afford to replace. Please let me know. Thanks

• Deer Run Revamps

Yes, follow all directions, just don't spritz the leather with the water and use a 60/40 paint to water ratio

• JessicaD

You made your own chalk paint for this project? If so, what ratio did you use?

I love this finished piece. It's gorgeous.

• Deer Run Revamps

Yes, for this piece I made my own. While it does work great, I've since learned that a premade chalk paint with built in wax, such as Frenchic Al Fresco range paints, work so much better!

But,my recipe for home made chalk paint is this...

For 12 ounces of latex paint, mix together about 3 tablespoons of calcium carbonate (I favor the Greenway biotech brand bought off of Amazon) with just a bit of HOT water until you get what resembles a thick pancake batter. It won't take much water to do so. Mix well until smooth, and then add to your paint. Mix well for 60 seconds and you're ready to paint! This paint can be stored for up to 9 months (I've noticed it starting to get lumpy after this timeframe). Make sure you mix before each use. Best to use with a damp brush and sand with 220 grit sandpaper after each coat. Doing so will give you a pretty smooth brush mark free finish.

Hope this helps you create something beautiful!

And if you want to try Frenchic Furniture Paint, Retique It Liquid Wood, or Redesign With Prima products, search for Deer Run Revamps in the Etsy app or on Facebook and I'll pop up with a fully stocked shop 😉

• Maria Lauko-Adam

For Dining room chairs, I'm worried that the paint might rub off on clothing, does anyone have any experience with this?