Cheryl
Cheryl
  • Tucson, AZ

How to resurface and seal a leaky tub?

CherylLaura CooperBetsy
+1

The grout on the bathroom floor asorbs a little moisture when someone takes a bath or tub is partially filled with water I wanted to know if there is a way to reseal the entire tub to stop this problem. It doesn't leave the floor wet but you can just tell there is moisture on the grout at the end of the tub. The cast iron tub is probably from the 70's.

• Kelli L. Milligan

If the water is coming from under the tub, you have a real problem. May need to remove tub. Floor will be rotting out underneath.

Hi Cheryl: If you have a basement, go down there and stand under the tub and check the wood with a flashlight and a nail. Push the nail into the wood under the tub and see if it goes in easily. If it does, run! The wood is rotten and you will be flattened. If it goes in semi-easily, then call a contractor to re-do the floor. If it's all dry and the nail doesn't go in, hooray! You can remove the old caulking and put in new, but I'm thinking that maybe the drain needs to be replaced as it may have rusted around the edges or at the joints. You can remove the drain cover and using a flashlight, check to see if you can see anything and maybe shove the end of a white towel in the drain and pull it out to see if there is any rust on it. Also, stick your finger in and around the edges to see if it's jagged, indicating a crack or hole. Good luck

• Laura Cooper

I agree with Kelli. This sounds like a serious issue that needs to be addressed asap. The leak could be coming from the plumbing and not from the tub itself, but you will need to do additional investigating to find out.

• Cheryl

I'm going to replace the tub drain but this tub has a lot of scratches I am almost sure it's the tub but I will do the small stuff and see. Thank you very much for your answer.