How to get rid of poison oak?

Suzanne Bradley CouhieBetsyCelebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)
+3

Poison oak, what can I use to get rid of this plant? I heard that you can use vinegar with baking soda? Is this true?

• Joanne

I had terrible poison Ivy growing and used a gallon of water and a container of salt. Boil water to dissolve salt, I keep a milk Jug just for this mixture. I do half the water then add the other half cold. Doesn't melt the Jug. Add a dash of liquid soap. It took several applications, it was woven in my chain link fence when I moved in. In 17 years it has not come back. Good luck.

• Sac

Will this recipe also work on posion oak?

Thankyou

• Kelli L. Milligan

Vinegar and salt

Hi Suzanne: Get a product called ground clear, it kills everything! You can get it at most home improvement stores. Then, put some in a small can and paint the undersides of the leaves with this, using a small foam brush. Be sure not to get the ground clear on anything else. The plant will take the poison to the roots, through the leaves, and kill just this plant - if you are careful not to get the ground clear on anything else. You can use this method on any plant you want to get rid of. If you are worried about the leaves touching your other plants, cut the unwanted plant short, leaving several leaves, paint the leaves with the ground clear and then cover it with a plastic bag and secure it to the ground. That way, even the wind won't blow the poisoned leaves onto your other plants. Good luck with this, invasive plants are the worst!

If you are, or you know someone who is, diabetic, ask for one of their used needles, fill it with the ground clear and inject it, in a downwards direction, directly into the trukn. Then, be sure to dispose of the needle properly and don't touch the needle part because you may get some of the poison oil on you.

• Suzanne Bradley Couhie

Thank you!