Essential Oil Car Air-freshener

$5

My husband is a hunter, now I don’t know if this goes for all hunters or just him specifically.. but his truck can get REAL stinky. We’ve been enjoying essential oils in our home and I decided to use them in our cars too with this super simple DIY car freshener.

essential oil car air freshener

This DIY is so so simple. You’ll just need a glass jar with a lid, a nail, a hammer, some baking soda, and Essential Oil(s) of your choice. Optional- scrapbook paper to cover your lid.

essential oil car air freshener

I started by nailing holes into my lid.

essential oil car air freshener

Next, I traced the lid onto my scrapbook paper (I chose some that looked like white marble). Once you’ve cut your paper to the size of the lid, I attached it with mod podges. Once it was on, I used my nail to poke the holes in my lid through the paper as well.

essential oil car air freshener

Here’s a shot of the top of my jar.

essential oil car air freshener

Next, put some baking soda in your jar. Then add drops of your EO and mix them together.

For my husbands truck I used his favorite blend ‘peace and calming’. I did about 20 drops.

For my car I used my homemade anthro blend (which smells exactly like the anthro volcano candle)

essential oil car air freshener

Now, just put it in your car and Enjoy!

• O.shag

About how much baking soda? When the scent fades, do you use fresh baking soda or just add more essential oils to what is in the jar?

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

Hi there! I used about 1/4 cup of baking soda, and personally I will replace the baking soda once the scent fades. I hope that helps! 😊

• O.shag

Thank you. If this eliminates what I imagine a hunter's truck can smell like I'm hoping it can freshen up a slightly musty room.

• Anita

What is special about scrapbook paper?

Could i use something else?

• SoUncool

Where do you put it in your car so it doesn’t roll around and get baking soda everywhere? I drive a Jeep and can’t imagine where in the heck I’d put this.

• Paul Spencer

I like the idea of not continuously buying throw-away air-fresheners. I have a 4WD with lots of interior metal, such as pillars. You could get rectangular metal mint containers, like the one attached, stick a magnet on them, then attach them somewhere in your vehicle. They wouldn't move. Maybe one on either side. Not the same volume as the round container, but two may work well. I'll try it. Plastic square-sided containers with magnets would also be fine. Metal would last longer, of course.

• Liz Malone Gerron

I would put a piece of adhesive velcro on the bottom and somewhere on the dash perhaps

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

I just have it in my cup holder, but Liz and Paul’s answers are wonderful ideas too!! 😊

• Susan hammond

You could put it in the little compartment on the door, they usually have a cut holder in it.

• Letitia Camin

I am fond of Peace & Calming as well but am always looking to try others own blends...what is you recipe for "anthro volcano"?

• Jo Jo

Probably what she showed in the picture: Northern Lights, grapefruit, bergamot and patchouli. Hope that helps!

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

Yes! Northern lights black spruce, bergamot, grapefruit, patchouli, and I also like to add ylang ylang if I have it on hand, or geranium. 😊

• Larry Lewis

How much baking soda? 1/4 cup 1/2 cup?

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

I used about 1/4 cup. You can use more or less depending on your needs and container size. 😊

• Larry Lewis

Thanks I'm going to give it a try.

• Sue Wehmeyer

Put it in a can and duct tape it to something. Haha

• Larry Lewis

I got 4 cup holders I'm putting it one of those keep it from rolling around the back of the truck.

• Cdemby Tony

Sounds nice and simple. How long does it last?

Just wondering: What is the science explanation between the OE mixing with Baking Soda?

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

Baking soda helps eliminate odors by itself, and the essential oils are added to give it a nice smell 😊

• Kim

Is there a new car scent EO?

• List maker

I will try this but I like the Italian perfume Il Bacio and Freesia lotions from Bath and Body. Do you have any idea if I stirred that in baking soda would I be wasting my expensive products?

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

I honestly can’t say for sure. I would think the perfume would work well because if the liquid consistency similar to essential oils... I hope that’s somewhat helpful!

• Stacey

Found some cute glass jars and I didn't know what to do with them.

Now I have the perfect use for them.

Thanks for posting!!

Stacey

• Tsquillacote

I like this idea I’m just confused as I use baking soda to take odors away. Therefore I am wondering Does using baking soda affect the project?