Half Bath Makeover

$375
2 Weeks

Our 'before' half bath was dull-dreary and embarrassingly outdated. I hated everything in this tiny room. Unfortunately we had other rooms in this fixer upper that needed even more help, so I impatiently waited for the day we could gut the entire space and start over.

When demo day finally came you can bet the very first thing to go was that ugly built in sink and paneling that had been painted so many times it was coming off all on it's own.

Next came the drop down ceiling-which uncovered more than just the floor joists. There was water damage and old knob and tube wiring that needed to be pulled out.

The flooring also had water damage and was totally not level in one area so my husband had to reinforce the floor before laying down a whole new sub-floor. That, along with new electrical wiring and a bit of plumbing for the sink had our budget dwindling fast!

So I started getting creative with the design plan. First with the flooring. I found these bold vintage vinyl tiles online and they were SUPER inexpensive but very durable too! (You can see my entire tutorial on installing the floor over on the blog!)

I also wanted to add a bit of texture and farmhouse charm in the space but when I priced ship lap online I just knew we could do it for a lot cheaper ourselves. And we did with our 'faux' ship lap. (You can see that full tutorial on the blog too!)

The space was definitely starting to shape up after we put up drywall and trim and gave everything a couple of coats of bright white paint!

Once the sink and toilet were installed it was time for a few accessories. I had to get a bit 'creative' with some of them, like the mirror for example. Not sure why, but round mirrors cost more than square ones and those that were the size I needed were WAY out of my budget. I found this one online but it had hooks on either side with a rope attached for hanging. It wasn't exactly the look I wanted but the price was right. Thankfully, it only took a few adjustments and a little paint and fit perfectly in the space!

The room is tiny so I didn't have a lot of space for storage so I hung this shelf I purchased online on the wall behind the toilet. It's the perfect size for some decor and toiletry items for guests.

To save more $ I also found a few frames and created my own wall art.

Our half bath definitely received a HUGE makeover and now I no longer cringe when our guests ask to use the bathroom!

You can find more on this room's transformation and a full resource list over on the blog!

CD's CountryLiving

• Dl.5660408

So pretty now! But I’m confused about the removal of the drop down ceiling revealing floor joists?

• Dl.5660408

Thanks! That makes sense and it really looks beautiful and gives me hope for my tiny, horror of a bathroom

• Kari

Looks like you didn't install a GFI outlet that is so close to your sink-don't you have codes? Better to be safe than sorry!

• CD's CountryLiving

Yes Kari!! You and Ginger are absolutely correct!! No worries though!! I took photos and posted this project prior to my hubby having time to install a GFI outlet here and in our kitchen remodel!!

• Cindy Martin

Where did you get the tiles? I have looked and looked but can't find them. Thanks!