Megan
Megan
  • Paragould, AR

How to Paint an Antique Table White

$25

Antique tables are so pretty! I want to share with you how I painted this antique table with Jolie Palace White. :)

Table before
Table before

To begin, you will want to remove any old sealer from the top of your table. I used the soy gel to remove the old seal coat. Soy gel is great because it is a natural paint stripper that you can even use indoors!

how to paint an antique table white

Add thick coats of gel stripper. Let sit for just a couple of minutes, it will become bubblie. Start to remove old finish with a putty knife.

how to paint an antique table white

Once old finish has been removed wipe off any excess with a damp shop towel.

Table top is now ready for to be repainted!

I did a white wash with Jolie Palace White and Folk Arts milk paint for the table top.

To begin, lightly dip bristles of paint brush into Jolie Palace White, and then dip the tip of the brush into a small amount of water. Start to apply the wet paint wash over the top of the table. Wipe off excess paint with a shop towel as you go along.

how to paint an antique table white

After Palace White has been applied and is dry repeat the same process with Folk Arts milk paint. Try and blend the colors together as you go wiping the colors off with a shop towel. This will help the colors seep into the wood. :)

how to paint an antique table white

Once both colors have been applied you can seal your table with a water based polyurethane. Apply 2-3 coats of polyurethane.

how to paint an antique table white

Top of table is complete! :) YAE! You did an awesome job!

You can now begin to paint the base of your table. The base of this table took 3 coats of Jolie Palace White. Apply paint in light even coats.

PRO TIP: Use 220 grit sand paper to lightly distress any edges of your table. This will create an authentic rustic look.

After table base is fully dry seal with clear finishing wax or a water based polyurethane. I used clear finishing wax for the base because I find it works well with distressing.

how to paint an antique table white

Table is now complete! :) Way to go!

Have you painted an antique side table before? If so I'd love to hear! Comment below. :)

Megan

• Bertha

Did you strip the base . Or just painted over the paint that was there ?

• Megan

Hi Bertha! I just painted over the base. :) No stripping!

• User

What do the framed wall quotes say?

• Megan

Hi! It says "I am the good shepherd I know my sheep and my sheep know me" John 10:11