How to Make a Denim Doormat

$5

The doormat is designed for our patio door which leads from our dining room into the garden, now it is spring our guinea pig is moved outside and the door is in constant use as we go in and out to feed her. The laminate floor can become rather dirty. The beauty of making your own doormat is you can make to the size which suits you - this doormat is 27.5" by 16" fitting perfectly between the back door and our dining room table.

I am rather fortunate in that I have a rather large stash of jeans. My kind friends always pass them my way. There are many pairs of old jeans in my stash where I have already used the legs which I have kept for the waistbands and pockets. This DIY doormat makes full use of these denim pockets. Check out the DIY doormat on video here.

how to make a denim doormat

Start by unpicking your jean pockets and waistbands.

Once you have a large selection of pockets place them, overlapping onto a navy base fabric (mine measures 27 1/2" by 16" but size for your door). Think about placement of the pockets, I like to mix up the matching pockets so they are not next to each other and to have a range of tones of denim. Pin in place then stitch. 

how to make a denim doormat

To sew through so many layers of fabric/denim I suggest a denim needle, a long stitch length, and possibly a walking foot (dependant upon your machine), alternatively you could use fabric glue to adhere them to your navy fabric.

how to make a denim doormat

Cut your rug gripper mat to size. Glue to the wrong side of the mat and allow to dry.

how to make a denim doormat

Next to edge the denim doormat with your waistbands. Open out the waistband and enclose the raw edge of the rug. Pin then stitch, your waistband enclosing the denim pockets edges, the waistband acts similar to bias binding. Trim at the corners of the rug.

how to make a denim doormat

Repeat all around. With the corners, fold the second edge in creating a mitred look. Glue with fabric glue, hold in place with a peg whilst it dries.

how to make a denim doormat

My finished doormat may not have the most perfect of corners but I do love the result!

how to make a denim doormat

Vickymcreations

• Sharon

When you use this type of a non-slip mat with glue, can this rug be washed? Could the non-slip mats be sewed on instead and then washed? Thanks much.

• Vickymcreations

I haven’t tried washing it yet - I think the glue will hold but if it doesn’t I can some stitches on the back 😀

• Darlene

I do not know how to use a sewing machine, nor do I have one , although I do have lots of fabric, and like to sew by hand..do you have any suggestions for me to try to make this?

thanks

• Nikki

Hand sewing this would be a huge challenge, but could be done if you wanted to enough.