DIY Afternoon Spa Pad

$69

Well here goes nothing! My daughter bought a spa and I didn’t want it on my pool decking, so I went down to Lowe’s to check out the pavers they had, to make a small patio space. I picked up some 11.7” x 11.7" pavers. I also picked up some sand and decided I’d make a spa pad. Let's see how this goes!

Tools and Materials

• pavers
  • sand
  • level
  • T square
  • rubber mallet
  • shovel

Remove Rocks

Remove Rocks

First, I removed all of the rocks in the area, and got it ready to place the pavers. I decided to use 64 pavers, 8 rows of 8 paver.

Pavers

Wet the Dirt

Wet the Dirt

I then loosened the dirt, and wet it a bit because it was packed so tight! I dug about an inch because I want to the pavers to be even with the ground.

Spread Sand

Spread Sand

I then spread the sand and leveled it with my level.

Lay Pavers

Lay Pavers

Once I was ready to lay down the pavers, I used a T square and level to lay my first row of pavers. This way it would be as straight as possible.

Level Pavers

If the paver was too low or too high, I'd add or remove sand where necessary.

Knock into Place

Knock into Place

I used a rubber mallet, but be careful not to hit down too hard, they can break.

Fill in Lines and Cracks

Fill in Lines and Cracks

Then I used a bag of sand and covered the top to fill in all the lines and cracks.

Add the Spa

Add the Spa

My spa fits perfectly. This job wasn’t too hard and it took only about 5 hours. It works!

DIY Outdoor Spa

This project only cost me $69! I can see how this would have cost more if I hired someone to do it. Go ahead and give it a try yourself!

• Jamie

You were able to fill in gaps after painting. Will I be able to caulk first THEN paint or will the paint not cover it smoothly?

• Mary

Hi. This looks great. I wonder should I add landscaping paper to help prevent weeds since it’s not going on cement but dirt? Thanks so much.

• Yolanda J. Mcnally

Use some newspapers spread down first than the landscaping weed guard dark rolls on top of that. The newspaper adds extra weed deterrent to the dark weed guard rolls. Sand on that than the pavers.

• Mary

Grwsr job! Did you add a pad under the spa to keep the warmth in?

• Ellis

It looks great. Those pavers are very versatile; I used 10 pavers that size to make a small pad for my hose reel and watering cans, a spot that was always muddy. Now everything is level and dry, and I don't have to step in mud. It's lasted for nearly 20 years so far.

• Kmdreamer

I have a dirt patch were my table a chairs sits this is what I am going to do there great job you did.