Stenciled Tile Floor

$80

I fell in love with the look of cement tiles, but they are SO expensive. After searching around I discovered the concept of painting your existing tile and decided to give it a shot. I am in LOVE with the results!

Before starting the project, I made sure the floor was cleaned thoroughly.

Once that was done I did two coats of zinser bullseye primer.

Next, I did two coats of rustoleum chalked paint in charcoal.

Once that dried it was time to start stenciling! I used rustoleum chalked paint in linen white. I decided to stencil all the space where I could use the full stencil first. (You can see this step in the photo) Once that was dried, I went back in and stenciled all the areas where I would have to bend the stencil.

For my final step, I sealed the floor with 6 thin coats of polycrilic. I aired on the side of cautious as far sealing goes because this is a very high traffic area in our home.

After roughly 3 months of regular everyday use, the floor is still as beautiful as the first day it was finished!

The stencil I used is the ‘maestro’ tile stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils

• Robyn Garner

I am not a "stencil person" lol! My 2 bathrooms have the same ceramic tile as the entire rest of the house and I'm so over it. The bathrooms are 40+ years old with awful laminate vanities etc.

To all Hometalkers - how do you think it would look to paint the ceramic tiles just in the bathrooms with a dark color and seal it? Do you think it would look "sharp" and "new" or just a mistake? Do you all think a chalk finish with matte sealer would be sharp????

Also, could I "undo" the floors after paint if I hate it? How difficult would this be and how would you go about doing it?

• Black Hills Rosie

It's been several years since painting ugly (vinyl or something) tiled floor in upstairs half bath. Two coats of white latex paint, then sponged on a nice blue. . Covered it with a polyurethane. It is just now beginning to show wear. . . . If you were to use a solid dark color, it would really show any dust or debris so fast and would require constant cleaning to keep it looking sharp. Don't think you could undo it. Whatever you choose, have fun.

• Lisa Fauerbach

Beautiful job!😍😍😍

• Tonya Holder

Where are the answers to the questions some of the others asked?