Stenciled Tile Floor

$80

I fell in love with the look of cement tiles, but they are SO expensive. After searching around I discovered the concept of painting your existing tile and decided to give it a shot. I am in LOVE with the results!

stenciled tile floor

Before starting the project, I made sure the floor was cleaned thoroughly.

Once that was done I did two coats of zinser bullseye primer.

stenciled tile floor

Next, I did two coats of rustoleum chalked paint in charcoal.

stenciled tile floor

Once that dried it was time to start stenciling! I used rustoleum chalked paint in linen white. I decided to stencil all the space where I could use the full stencil first. (You can see this step in the photo) Once that was dried, I went back in and stenciled all the areas where I would have to bend the stencil.

stenciled tile floor

For my final step, I sealed the floor with 6 thin coats of polycrilic. I aired on the side of cautious as far sealing goes because this is a very high traffic area in our home.

stenciled tile floor

After roughly 3 months of regular everyday use, the floor is still as beautiful as the first day it was finished!

stenciled tile floor

The stencil I used is the ‘maestro’ tile stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils

• Liz

Did you know that the Min Wax polycrilic on the supply list is not recommended by Min Wax for floors? I would use a floor paint for the floor and stencil and a recommended floor poly to seal it.

• Alice

You are correct as to the directions/suggestions for use on the Min wax can but Polyurethane (recommended for floors) yellows over time so isn't ideal for use on white or light colors including light stains such as you might use on floors. Polycrylic does not yellow, I have used it many times on high traffic floors, if you take the time to do one or two extra coats I have found that it holds up for years. I guess which you use depends on whether any yellowing will bother you.

• Robyn Garner

I am not a "stencil person" lol! My 2 bathrooms have the same ceramic tile as the entire rest of the house and I'm so over it. The bathrooms are 40+ years old with awful laminate vanities etc.

To all Hometalkers - how do you think it would look to paint the ceramic tiles just in the bathrooms with a dark color and seal it? Do you think it would look "sharp" and "new" or just a mistake? Do you all think a chalk finish with matte sealer would be sharp????

Also, could I "undo" the floors after paint if I hate it? How difficult would this be and how would you go about doing it?

• Black Hills Rosie
      30 minutes ago

It's been several years since painting ugly (vinyl or something) tiled floor in upstairs half bath. Two coats of white latex paint, then sponged on a nice blue. . Covered it with a polyurethane. It is just now beginning to show wear. . . . If you were to use a solid dark color, it would really show any dust or debris so fast and would require constant cleaning to keep it looking sharp. Don't think you could undo it. Whatever you choose, have fun.

• Lisa Fauerbach

Beautiful job!😍😍😍

• TLC

I had been wondering just how well Zinzer primer worked to paint on ceramic and have it actually stick! If it works that well for your floor, it will definitely work on my large ceramic outdoor planter!

Absolutely gorgeous job on your floor! You have the patience of a saint! So much hard work you put in to this DIY job! Good for you!

• Sharon Neighoff

Great job! Love it!!