How to cool an exterior brick wall?

BetsyShore grandmomPeggy Burnette

West facing brick exterior wall heats my daughter's bedroom. Looking for attractive, successful plans using trellis with perennial climbing plant to cool down this area. I would like to keep it a few inches from the wall. Welcoming all ideas!

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Donna, sorry you are having a problem with heat on exterior west wall. Here are some plants I hope will help you, but you may have to water a lot more with them being in the heat. Good luck Check out these cool plants for hot walls - Nursery Management

1. www.nurserymag.com/article/nursery-0611-cool-plants-hot-walls/

Plants growing in front of a south- or west- facing wall that are not well suited to ... there are a number of ways to cool down and mitigate the heat buildup on walls. ... The benign rays of the winter sun help warm a cold house or seating area,

• Donna Ludlow

Thank you for sharing this helpful article. I shall enjoy investigating and researching the plants that are listed in this article!

• Shore grandmom

I would not suggest putting any kind of climbing plant anywhere near brick. They are very invasive and will reach the brick and destroy the mortar around it. Check and make sure that there is the proper amount of insulation in the wall. Also any windows on that wall should have insulated curtains and draperies. These sheer curtains help block the sun. If you keep both the curtains and insulated draperies closed when the sun is shining on that wall, if should help. When I was young we didn't have air conditioning and my mother would "chase the sun" by opening windows and drapes where the shade was and closing them when the sun was about to hit that area. I hope this helps, you really shouldn't put climbing plants near your house.

https://www.boscovs.com/shop/prod/prism-thermalite-batiste-rod-pocket-curtain-panel/409303.htm

• Shore grandmom

Insulated drapes on top of the blinds might help. As for checking about insulation, you'd have to cut a hole in the sheetrock (in an inconspicuous spot like behind a piece of furniture) and make sure there is insulation and check how thick it is. Or you could have someone from an insulation company come out and check for you. Any kind of vine can reach your house unless the trellis is really far from the wall. Please, do yourself a favor and stay away from them. How about some shade trees or tall shrubs, either evergreen or flowering?

Hi Donna: Good idea about keeping the plants away from your house:) The vines of an ivy can get into the cracks of your mortar and crumble it, making the bricks fall out of the house! You can get some of that plastic trellis to put there and have plants climb up that. Put it at least a foot away from your house, if possible, so that you can trim any vines that want to reach out for your house. Here is a site that tells you about vines, but not everything:) https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/ovgen/growing-plant-cover-fence.htm It mentions Hops, but doesn't really say that it's pretty invasive! My neighbour planted hops, now her neighbours have hops, her whole yard is hops! So, check out the individual plant to see if it's invasive. I have Morning Glories - all over the place! :( They are supposed to be annuals, but they reseed and reseed and reseed! In order to tell the difference between perennial and annual plants is easy. PERennial means PERMANENT. Annual means that you will buy them once annual (and you'll) buy them again next year:). Good luck