Leesa Osborne
Leesa Osborne
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Columbia, TX

Beat up Dresser

$50
4 Months
Advanced

This project was definitely a long one and a learning curve. I had this vision,oh it’s gonna be a breeze, removing two drawers, add some doors and paint it. Ha!! It was a nightmare. I gave up on it many times. I let it sit till I had a new idea then that failed and I’d just get frustrated all over again. I had never used metal and I knew I wanted a “farmhouse industrial look” oh goodness. If you’ve never cut galvanized corrugated metal. Your in for a job if you don’t know how. I didn’t know how everyone kept saying use metal snippers. I’d tell them I have it doesn’t work. We tried a electric metal blade saw thing. It just made metal fly and it was extremely loud. Don’t let this discourage you from trying the metal. I figured it out. You need straight cutting nippers. I had left cutting nippers and didn’t know the difference. So after researching you tube Pinterest google. I found them on amazon they cut straight no metal flying or getting embed in your skin. You need straight cutting. Photo below. Mind you my dresser had already been painted months ago. Since these was considered a handmade doors I had to go through several types of hinges. Everyone one I bought didn’t work except these. They are called partial inlay. Since my door isn’t flush I needed partial inlay. I had no idea all the different types of hinges their are. Mind you I had made 4 different sets of doors thinking it was my doors not being measured correctly. Like I said this was a learning experience.

beat up dresser

I bought these off amazon after trying the metal grinder and “left cutting nippers” so much easier.

beat up dresser

See how one side sits higher than the other. These were black when I bought them. I just used rust -oleum spray paint in silver. I wanted them silver like the metal door inserts. So after months of trial and error I got it done. Then I thought this is just “to white”. I decided to go over the entire piece with min wax special walnut stain and varathane gray stain. The gray stain dries way to fast for me. I’d wipe on the special walnut and let dry. Once dried i barely dipped my brush in the gray stain and kind of did a dry brush and wiped immediately. Of course some didn’t wipe off. So I had to google how to thin it out or remove some of it. Good olé mineral sports saved it.

beat up dresser

Before photo

beat up dresser

Yes it’s been through a lot by someone. Lol

beat up dresser

I distressed it a little bit. Oh the pipe and flanges came from Home Depot. I used 1/2 inch pipe and 1/2 inch flanges and just screw them into the drawer fronts.

beat up dresser

My shelf made of old fencing. I stained it sanded and dry brushed white chalk paint over them.

beat up dresser

This is the final result.

beat up dresser

Before photo, being to white photo and final result.

beat up dresser

Love it

• Jjqq

Love the look - all your hard work has paid off in letting all of us know what it took to get this great project done! My question is - could you please give me the measurements of the pipes and flanges you used for the pulls? I want mine to look the same. Thank you

• Jan

I have no real knowledge but 1/2" pipe threaded at both ends is available in 6" & 12 " lengths as well as many other. They are called nipples (threads on the outside are male nipples, while inside threads are called female nipples)

named by plumbers many years ago!!

• Kelly J. Tinney

Did you not put any knobs on the top doors?

• Joanie

Stained......I would've given you 5 stars!!

• Leesa Osborne

awe thank you. It had so much marker on it from little kids. I wasn’t in the mood to sand it that much. Plus I had a different idea for this piece when it was painted. My next piece you’ll probably like better. It’s almost done. 🤩

• Bonnie Sereda- Blair

Love it! I used plumbing parts for legs on my live edge walnut kitchen table. Great look!

• JudyH
      31 minutes ago

Another option for adding legs is to use fence post finales turned upside down with the narrow tapered top sitting on the floor and the wide end that would screw into the fence post screwed into the bottom of the chest. I LOVE this tutorial - the chest turned out really great. Your, uh, "tenacity" really paid off!