What’s the deal with composts for gardening?

Joanna - Gingham GardensDarlene WillimanLittle Sprouts Learning

Is composting better then fertilizer? Do I use both compost and fertilizer? How much of what is used to make compost?

• Little Sprouts Learning

Composting will give you more lasting nutrition for your soil and healthier soil for healthier plants. Check out how here. https://www.everchangeproductions.co/basics-of-composting-for-beginners/

• Darlene Williman

Compost enriches your soil/dirt over time. It loosens and softens it while adding nutrition while it rots away. Keeping compost in your soil increases the good bacteria. I let my mulch rot in place and just add new over it along with the compost I make from lawn trimmings, and mowed leaves. (I don't add food scraps as that attracts unwanted visitors (bugs and animals). Takes care of lawn trimmings and provides good stuff to the garden.

• Joanna - Gingham Gardens

Compost actually works as a fertilizer over time. Compost helps to fortify the soil. If you don't have the space, or don't want the mess, you can purchase bags of organic compost at big box stores for very inexpensively. Depending on the quality of your soil and what you are growing - vegetables or flowers, you can use additional fertilizer. In the case of vegetables, I like worm casings or chicken poo fertilizer. In the case of flower gardens, I use a product call Osmocote. Happy gardening!