Susan
Susan

How to build stairs?

Simple Decorating TipsKauai BreezeRecreated Designs

My outside stairs rotted out and broke. How do I build new ones?

• Recreated Designs

Hi Susan. Here are some great directions... https://www.wikihow.com/Build-Stairs

• Kauai Breeze

Lumber Yards have ready made stringers (the wood on the sides that holds the actual step). Take your stair height and length to the store and ask someone to guide you for which ones to buy. They are easy to install with new metal brackets to hold them to the house. Then just cut hefty boards for the steps, and screw in place. Make sure you put a paver or flat stone under the bottom of the stringer so the wood doesn't rot touching the soil.

• Susan

We have looked at them but the ready made ones are not long enough to do as far as we need it to go. I thought about buying one to use as a template and make one myself but was told it wouldn't work. We do/did have the post that went down on cement blocks. What rotted was the wooden rails themselves. Could have been from the prior owner had outdoor carpet on them which I assume held the moisture and accelerated the rotting process.