DIY Coastal Coasters

$15

A few months ago I redid an old end table by applying nautical map wrapping paper to the top of it. I’ve been wanting to use the leftover paper for something….but, hmmmm….what to do with it? I was online one day recently and saw a some coasters someone made, and I thought, bingo, that’s it! DIY Coastal Coasters (say that 5 times fast!!) is what I’ll do!

There are lots of tutorials already online on how to make these. Here is my version.

I bought the tiles at Home Depot for $.08 cents a piece!

Step 1…Cutting the paper…

First I traced the tile onto the paper and then used my paper cutter to cut it down to size. I was making 16 coasters. You can use just plain old scissors if you don’t have a paper cutter.

Obviously you could use any type of paper for the top. It does not have to be a map of the Bahamas, or a map at all. Use what you love.

Step 2…Glue the paper to the tile…

I used my foam brush to put a layer of  Mod Podge on the tile and carefully stuck the pieces of map onto the tile. This stuff is pretty sticky so line it up first and then press it down. It is not easy to peel off and re-stick if you make a mistake. Once stuck to the tile, use a roller or credit card to smooth out any bubbles.

Step 3…Mod Podge the Top…

Once they are all glued down, apply at least 2 more coats of Mod Podge to the tops of the coasters. This’ll seal and harden them up and protect them from any moisture. Here is what it looks like when the Mod Podge goes on, but don’t worry, it dries clear.

Step 4…Apply the Cork to the Bottom…

I bought this self adhesive Cork Roll for the bottoms of the coasters, but have also seen tutorials that have used felt. Either would work, but I thought the cork looked more nautical and would hold up better if it got wet. I cut these down to size and then stuck them on the bottom. Easy Peasy!

Step 5….Finish them off…

Last step is to spray a top coat (or two) of this Clear Acrylic Gloss Coating. 

And that is it. Very simple, very easy.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
The House house

• Stephanie Rountree

What glue did you use to glue the cork to the bottom?

• Donna

Again - I had a business making real coasters - coasters that are practical and beautiful. If the coaster absorbs moisture just sticking cork on the back can damage wood furniture. You need to use a water proof sealant and fully cover the back so that the moisture evaporates. E6000 is one option.

• Karen

Could you skip the mod podge on top and just use the spray sealer? It seems the mod podge would leave a textured finish (unless of course that's what you like).

• Leslie Packwood

If your cold glass is sweating, does the water just bead up and roll off onto your table?

• Rebecca

Yes!

• M

I have two stained tile coasters on my table. Now I know how I can renew them! Thanks for sharing!