DIY Coastal Coasters

$15

A few months ago I redid an old end table by applying nautical map wrapping paper to the top of it. I’ve been wanting to use the leftover paper for something….but, hmmmm….what to do with it? I was online one day recently and saw a some coasters someone made, and I thought, bingo, that’s it! DIY Coastal Coasters (say that 5 times fast!!) is what I’ll do!

There are lots of tutorials already online on how to make these. Here is my version.

diy coastal coasters

I bought the tiles at Home Depot for $.08 cents a piece!

diy coastal coasters

Step 1…Cutting the paper…

First I traced the tile onto the paper and then used my paper cutter to cut it down to size. I was making 16 coasters. You can use just plain old scissors if you don’t have a paper cutter.

Obviously you could use any type of paper for the top. It does not have to be a map of the Bahamas, or a map at all. Use what you love.

diy coastal coasters
diy coastal coasters

Step 2…Glue the paper to the tile…

I used my foam brush to put a layer of  Mod Podge on the tile and carefully stuck the pieces of map onto the tile. This stuff is pretty sticky so line it up first and then press it down. It is not easy to peel off and re-stick if you make a mistake. Once stuck to the tile, use a roller or credit card to smooth out any bubbles.

diy coastal coasters

Step 3…Mod Podge the Top…

Once they are all glued down, apply at least 2 more coats of Mod Podge to the tops of the coasters. This’ll seal and harden them up and protect them from any moisture. Here is what it looks like when the Mod Podge goes on, but don’t worry, it dries clear.

diy coastal coasters

Step 4…Apply the Cork to the Bottom…

I bought this self adhesive Cork Roll for the bottoms of the coasters, but have also seen tutorials that have used felt. Either would work, but I thought the cork looked more nautical and would hold up better if it got wet. I cut these down to size and then stuck them on the bottom. Easy Peasy!

diy coastal coasters

Step 5….Finish them off…

Last step is to spray a top coat (or two) of this Clear Acrylic Gloss Coating. 

And that is it. Very simple, very easy.

diy coastal coasters
diy coastal coasters

The House house

• Angi
    4 hours ago

Thank you for a great Christmas gift idea!!! I really like this idea!!!

• Kathy-Lou Brown
    31 minutes ago

Love ❤️ to do crafts & will have to give this a try for our Yard Sales we have in the Spring/Fall we have to raise money for our Tenanty Association.