DIY Hanging Garden Sphere

$20

Hanging garden spheres are a unique alternative to hanging baskets, and the simple and classic round shape looks great in almost any garden setting.

Recently, I saw a beautiful hanging garden sphere at a local event. It was a little out of my budget, so I decided to try making my own.

Here is how I did it:

I used two hanging metal baskets that I'd found at a local discount store. They came with coconut liners.

diy hanging garden sphere

I took the coconut lining out of one basket – the basket that would serve as the “top half” of the sphere. 

I left the lining in the other basket – the basket that would serve as the “bottom half.” (I did trim the lining down a bit as it seemed too large). This “bottom half” would contain soil and plants. 

Then, just to help with water retention for the plants, I fitted the inside of the coconut lining with a layer of landscape fabric.  

I covered the outside of the coconut lining with sheet moss.

Preparing the bottom half of the sphere
Preparing the bottom half of the sphere

I didn’t have one large piece of sheet moss to use, so I just layered a few of the sheet moss scraps that I had onhand.  

Then I added potting soil and, because the sphere would be hanging in part shade, I planted it with New Guinea impatiens and baby tears. 

diy hanging garden sphere

So how would I fasten the two halves together? And preferably with something that I could easily reopen? I pondered this for some time before realizing that the chains on the baskets already had clips that would work perfectly.

I removed the chain from the “top half” basket. That chain would not be needed.

I kept the chain on the “bottom half” basket.

Then I just attached the “top half” to the “bottom half” with the fastening clips from the "bottom half" chain.  

Fastening the halves together
Fastening the halves together

I’d lined up the two halves so that the wire patterns of each mirrored one another.  

diy hanging garden sphere

All done! Now I have a strange and wonderful globe hanging on my front porch.

diy hanging garden sphere

Since I had all the materials onhand except for the hanging baskets and the New Guinea impatiens, I estimated my cost at $20.

For other fun garden projects I did on a budget, check out my little experiment with soup cans. Or the lapse in judgment that I turned into garden art.

My Sweet Cottage