Teri Sweeney
Teri Sweeney
  • Montgomery, AL

How can I get rid of intrusive vines without poisoning the soil?

Columbia GBKathy Gunter LawNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+5

I was advised to use Roundup. Obviously, I won't, but is there something else that will kill the vines, but leave the soil able to support other plants?

• Kelli L. Milligan

Not much. Best to dig up

• Kelly-n-Tony

We've tried pulling and chopping. I think it's near impossible.

• Flipturn

Any method you choose that addresses the part of the vine that is above ground only will not get rid of the plant. To prevent the vine from continuing to re-surface, you will need to dig down and completely remove all the roots and shoots, or kill the roots entirely.

• Dig out making sure to get all the roots possible. Then douse the area well with vinegar or cleaning vinegar. Vinegar is water soluble. Weeds and vegetation will grow back. There is also agricultural vinegar, and that is really strong, but it will take a long time for the soil to repair itself and if you want to plant in that area, heavy amending will be required. I just helped my girlfriend remove all her poison ivy. We do it every spring and just use plain white vinegar or cleaning vinegar, whatever she happens to have on hand.

• Kathy Gunter Law

It depends on what they are. If you don't want to dig or pull, cut down to ground level and keep cut. We have some that I've tried to pull & dig but keep coming back so I can only keep it trimmed well because I have boxwoods and thyme so I can't spray.