Susan
Susan
  • Canada

How do I paint a metal filing cabinet?

SusanCynthia HKathy Gunter Law
+2

I have a three drawer metal filing cabinet that is a light tan color. What paint is best? Do I need to sand it? Are there any designs you can suggest in order for me to display it in a living room area? It is not rusted at all, but it does have some stratches on it. Thank you for any help you can offer, Susan.

• Kelli L. Milligan

We painted ours and it came out great. Just thoroughly clean and use Rustoleum spray paint, semi gloss. No primer, no sanding, no to coats. Just. Several light coats of spray paint. Did them 15 years ago, just now got a chip. But I saved my can for touch up.

• Unique Creations By Anita

You get lots of spray paints that would be suitable for this project. If you have any areas that are rusty or the old paint is lifting. You will need to sand the rust off and add a primer first.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Spray paint in a can, RustOleum is my go to. Fine steel wool instead of sand paper. Scuff the surface and clean with denatured alcohol. Then you are ready to paint.

• Cynthia H

I am actually planning on doing one like yours soon. Mine has some rust on it so I will sand and wire brush it off. Then, I will use Rustoleum primer and then Rustoleum spray paint in a pretty color. My desk is a pretty blue so I may go with that.

• Susan

Thank you for all your help

I will start my project soon and let you all know how it turns out okay

Again, thank you, cheers