CoastalBohemian
CoastalBohemian
  • Myrtle Beach, SC

Upcycled-Faux-Cement-Planter

$10

Take a plain wooden box and create the look of a cement planter with faux techniques and using Chalk y Paint

upcycled faux cement planter
upcycled faux cement planter

Here's my wooden planter upcycle from this

upcycled faux cement planter

to this.

upcycled faux cement planter
I had a wooden box that had been sitting around in storage. So I actually cleaned up and upcycled with this project. Perfect way to upcycle.

upcycled faux cement planter

I found this faux metal fencing at the Dollar Tree hoping I could use it along the outside of the box. I snipped the spikes from the bottom.

upcycled faux cement planter

In the end it looked better tucked inside the back of the box. 

upcycled faux cement planter

Just checking to see how this will look with some herbs tucked inside.

upcycled faux cement planter
upcycled faux cement planter

BTW, if you use an old box for an upcycle you'll need to drill a few holes for drainage. 

upcycled faux cement planter

Next I gave the entire box a coat of Chalk Country Paint . When it dried, I added more paint with some raw unsweetened coconut mixed inside to create texture. I added the now, texture paint, to several spots.  I normally use saw dust to add texture but hey, a girl gotta do what a girl gotta do. It worked. Although I should have been more diligent with my mixing because some of the coconut shows through .  And again that works to create some depth of color and dimension.

upcycled faux cement planter

As an after thought I decided to dry brush some green onto the texture to create the look of moss.

upcycled faux cement planter
upcycled faux cement planter

Thanks for reading along. Hope you found some inspiration along the way. Make sure to leave a comment below and like the video.

CoastalBohemian

• Em

Why not use sand? The coconut if not 100% covered can attract moisture form humidity and fall off or maybe even mold.

• CoastalBohemian

Sand would have probably worked.My brain went cocounut. If it molds ok even better but as I stated here I typically use sawdust and that always leaves a great look. I think the chalk paint preserves the coconut in a sense.

• Lynette Summerill

Loved your project and the coconut was a creative touch. I wonder in hindsight if you might of used real moss though? The end project looked great. As a helpful tip, next video turn your camera horizontal for a better view. The still photos were helpful.

• CoastalBohemian

Thanks for reading along. The whole moss thing was an after thought and I thought the same thing, that real moss would have been perfect. However ,it's a good way to show how you can try and experiment with different things to push boundaries and get new results.

• Bbunny42

Did you line the box with metal or something that would not absorb water so that it would last longer?

• CoastalBohemian

No I did not . Sometimes I'll staple a plastic bag to the inside but it will be outside and will be exposed to the elements anyway. For me this was a way to use up some things in storage and clean up and destatsh. Maybe in it's next life it will be a vintage sign. Thanks for reading along.

• Dee

Very creative!tfs

• Debra

I swear this is creativity at its best ! Love your project , great job