How do I refresh a self heal cutting mat?

Fiddledd224Lynn SorrellGk

My cat had an accident on my cutting mat in my sewing room which I didn't discover until I lifted something up to find it wet underneath. My problem now is that the urine smell seems to have seeped into the mat. I've cleaned it with lemon wipes several times but the smell still lingers. Help please for the nasty niff.

• Gk

You might try wiping the mat with some enzyme cleaner that is made for cleaning up pet urine. Nature's Miracle is one brand. You will find it at places like Walmart and Menards in the pet section. Follow the directions as the enzyme cleaner will have to stay wet on the mat for a bit. It might help to soak/dampen a cleaning rag with the cleaner and let it sit on the mat for a bit. Cat urine is stinky!

• Lynn Sorrell

The only thing that will break down the uric acid to permanently remove the smell is an enzyme cleaner. The enzymes break down uric acid into carbon dioxide and ammonia, both gasses that then easily evaporate. This is why it is also essential to allow the enzyme cleaner to air dry. It needs the “natural” drying time to break down the uric acid salts, allowing the resulting gases to evaporate.

Not all enzyme cleaners are equally effective. Good enzyme cleaners are typically a bit more expensive. Cheap ones will work, but need to be reapplied over and over (and probably end up costing as much as the more expensive enzyme cleaners). Enzyme cleaners that work well and reliably include Nok Out, Urine Off, and Anti-Icky Poo.

Of course any cleaner needs to be used properly. Most enzyme cleaners come in a spray bottle. This is deceptive, because just spraying a light layer of enzyme cleaner over a urine stain will not result in complete cleaning of that spot. Cat pee wicks, and unless the enzyme cleaner completely envelopes all of the cat pee, even it won’t work. “Spraying” doesn’t work. Dousing, pouring, and soaking are required when cleaning up cat urine.

To properly use an enzyme cleaner on a fresh stain:

1. Blot up as much of the urine as you can before applying anything.

2. Soak the affected area with the enzyme cleaner.

3. Let the enzyme cleaner sit for 10 to 15 minutes.

4. Blot up as much of the enzyme cleaner as possible.

5. Leave the enzyme cleaner to air dry.

• Fiddledd224

Try setting it in a box filled with kitty litter and see if that absorbs and neutralizes the odor. Use the kind with charcoal for best results.