Jax
Jax

How to handle these riser-less steps?

DeeWilliamCatherine Deirdre Rodden
+5

I’m not handy with a saw and need help on how to handle these riserless steps. It had a cat odor so I ripped up the carpet and now have a mess on a limited budget. I primed white so I could see what I was in for.

q steps need help
q steps need help
  • Kathy Gunter Law

It's difficult to tell from the picture but consider putting tile in the place. You need to have a few basic tools and I would consider a saw one of those well worth purchasing. You don't have to buy anything expensive but you will be happy you have one. Check out harbor freight and maybe get a vibratory hand saw with several blades. Very inexpensive and you will love having it on hand.

• Jax

Thank you.

• Connie Ide Poss

If you say you are not handy with a saw, measure the dimensions you would need to cover the fronts and go to Home Depot. If you buy the wood, they will cut it for you. It can be very pretty thin wood (I would

go with a sanded plywood that will paint well) since it’s just the risers. If you don’t want to nail it up you could use an adhesive like liquid nails. Then you could simply paint the risers and the stairs, or stencil if you want a design.

• Sjr Spike

Ir you're asking how to add risers, I would get thin luon (sp?) and cut pieces that go wall to wall, top of step to top pf step. That would fill in the holes, for not much time/$. Alternatively, if there's room, you could make boxes that fit inside each step, for added drawer storage.

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden

If you plan to keep the steps as they are but just want to make them look nice, you can try self adhesive kitchen tiles. Easy to cut to fit and easy to clean.

Do what Connie suggests. Measure each riser and go to Home Depot and purchase some 1/4" plywood and have them cut it to size. Then just nail or glue the risers to the stair supports. You can paint, stain, or cover them anyway you choose.

• Dee

I agree with having Home Depot or Lowes cut wood or tile for your risers. You can use liquid Nails to glue them down. I would stain them and then Polyurethane the wood to make it last.

Clean up the stairs really well so that the new wood will adhere.