DIY Patio Table for Two

$30

Being single mom to a 9 year old, with a full-time job and a house to take care of, I’ve been on a quest to simplify our lives as much as possible. I don’t want to waste this precious time doing things that aren’t all that important to me.

One of the first things on my list this spring was to get control of our patio ‘stuff’. Each fall I spend so much time trying to shoe-horn all our patio furniture into our tiny shed. And last year I came frighteningly close to being smacked in the teeth with a large metal hammock leg!! This past weekend I sold off a lot of the patio furniture that we never really used, including a 6 person patio table set that literally nobody ever sat at. Not once! I decided a little table for two would work just fine for us. We rarely entertain guests in the yard, but if we do I have a portable folding table we can pull out.

I saw online a nearby restaurant was selling off its patio tables for $5 each. The laminate tops were damaged, but I figured the legs alone were worth $5 given that they were likely commercial grade. And they had a neat folding feature! So I picked one up.

used patio table from a nearby restaurant

The first step was to remove the old top using a hex key, which was super easy.  

Remove the top

I wanted the new table top to be roughly 2 x 3’. So I went to Home Depot and picked out two barn boards – 1” x 6” x 6’

I had them cut both boards in half 

Then one of those halves I had them shear in half and cut to 2’ lengths

2 barn boards - cut to size

I then drilled pocket holes in the boards (but didn’t screw them together yet)

Add pocket holes

I glued between each board with wood glue. I used a little precision brush from the dollar store to apply it as I always make such an oozy mess when I squeeze glue directly from the container!

Then I clamped the 3 boards together and left it overnight for the glue to dry.  

Add glue and clamp overnight

The following morning I screwed into the pocket holes and removed the clamps

I was about to attach the 2’ support boards – but they were too long! So I recommend if you have boards cut at Home Depot for a project that you lay out your pieces to confirm it all lines up before you leave. 

Fortunately I have a saw so this wasn’t a big deal. I shortened them to the correct length and screwed them to the bottom of the table top.

Attach support boards

Then I sanded it to be sure there were no splinters and stained it using a sample size can of water-proof stain.

Sample size stain

And here’s our cute little table for two.  

All ready for dinner with my fav girl :)

Once dinner is done it takes 1 second to fold up our table 

Oh so convenient!

And can very easily slide it out of our way if we want to utilize the shaded area for something else  

Easily move it aside (or store!)
Transform into a lounge space
Or add more chairs for guests

Once fall rolls around – the task of packing up our patio furniture will be far less daunting!

Quest to get control of patio furniture – CHECK! :)

• How did you get the table to fold down? Or did it come that way? I didn't see a mention of it in the list.

• Sue Sanders

Do you have to release something to let it fold. Would think it needs to be locked in place when using as a dinner table.

• Valerie Burge

Hi Sue, The legs/base has a locking feature. So once it's up I just pull down on one side of the bracket and it locks the table in place.

• Juanita Reyes

How to unclogged dishwasher