DIY Patio Table for Two

$30

Being single mom to a 9 year old, with a full-time job and a house to take care of, I’ve been on a quest to simplify our lives as much as possible. I don’t want to waste this precious time doing things that aren’t all that important to me.

One of the first things on my list this spring was to get control of our patio ‘stuff’. Each fall I spend so much time trying to shoe-horn all our patio furniture into our tiny shed. And last year I came frighteningly close to being smacked in the teeth with a large metal hammock leg!! This past weekend I sold off a lot of the patio furniture that we never really used, including a 6 person patio table set that literally nobody ever sat at. Not once! I decided a little table for two would work just fine for us. We rarely entertain guests in the yard, but if we do I have a portable folding table we can pull out.

I saw online a nearby restaurant was selling off its patio tables for $5 each. The laminate tops were damaged, but I figured the legs alone were worth $5 given that they were likely commercial grade. And they had a neat folding feature! So I picked one up.

used patio table from a nearby restaurant

The first step was to remove the old top using a hex key, which was super easy.  

Remove the top
Remove the top

I wanted the new table top to be roughly 2 x 3’. So I went to Home Depot and picked out two barn boards – 1” x 6” x 6’

I had them cut both boards in half 

Then one of those halves I had them shear in half and cut to 2’ lengths

2 barn boards - cut to size
2 barn boards - cut to size

I then drilled pocket holes in the boards (but didn’t screw them together yet)

Add pocket holes
Add pocket holes

I glued between each board with wood glue. I used a little precision brush from the dollar store to apply it as I always make such an oozy mess when I squeeze glue directly from the container!

Then I clamped the 3 boards together and left it overnight for the glue to dry.  

Add glue and clamp overnight
Add glue and clamp overnight

The following morning I screwed into the pocket holes and removed the clamps

I was about to attach the 2’ support boards – but they were too long! So I recommend if you have boards cut at Home Depot for a project that you lay out your pieces to confirm it all lines up before you leave. 

Fortunately I have a saw so this wasn’t a big deal. I shortened them to the correct length and screwed them to the bottom of the table top.

Attach support boards
Attach support boards

Then I sanded it to be sure there were no splinters and stained it using a sample size can of water-proof stain.

Sample size stain
Sample size stain

And here’s our cute little table for two.  

All ready for dinner with my fav girl  :)
All ready for dinner with my fav girl :)

Once dinner is done it takes 1 second to fold up our table 

Oh so convenient!
Oh so convenient!

And can very easily slide it out of our way if we want to utilize the shaded area for something else  

Easily move it aside (or store!)
Easily move it aside (or store!)
Transform into a lounge space
Transform into a lounge space
Or add more chairs for guests
Or add more chairs for guests

Once fall rolls around – the task of packing up our patio furniture will be far less daunting!

Quest to get control of patio furniture – CHECK! :)

• How did you get the table to fold down? Or did it come that way? I didn't see a mention of it in the list.

• Valerie Burge

Thank you so much, Lisa! :) And you're exactly right...the table base/legs already had the folding feature.

• Heather Witt

This is so perfect! Not that it needs anything to make it more beautiful but when you have it standing in your “lounge” photo I could see displaying a wreath or something and it would have even more function. The wood and stain is gorgeous or I would suggest stenciling a mandala in white paint in the center... but a wreath hung by rope (assuming it attaches somewhere in the back) wouldn’t damage the table surface at all! I sincerely love seeing ppl repurpose things like you did with that ugly old table! Very nice find and creativity!!

• Valerie Burge

Thank you so much, Heather!! :) I love the idea of stenciling a mandala!!! I've only stenciled once and it was not so good. I'll need to practice first. Thank you for the idea!!

• Sher Man

Now that’s a cleaver idea!