DIY Door Makeover

$15
1 Day

Check out more home improvement and decorating projects on my blog!

Our house had no shortage of boring, outdated interior doors. The orangish stain color hurt my eyes and the handles were super old. It was time for a door makeover!

Let me show you how I turned these boring, outdated doors into stunning, modern doors!

First, take the doors off of their hinges and sand off the finish. Any kind of powered sander will work for this step.

Use a pencil and measuring tape to make marks where your trim will go. I followed this diagram, measuring 4 inches in from each edge and also leave 4 inches in between the two squares of trim (centering that middle gap with the door knob).

Cut the wood trim pieces to size with 45 degree angles at each end. You're essentially building a picture frame of trim that you will attach to the door. If you don't own a miter saw, one of these cheap miter boxes will work just fine for this project.

Now lay all of the cut trim on top of your door, aligning each trim piece with the pencil marks you made earlier.

Use painter's tape or clamps to hold them in place and use a square to make sure everything's in alignment before attaching to the door.

Use a brad nailer to attach all of the trim to your door, then flip over and repeat on the backside of the door.

Finish your project by caulking all of the seams of the trim and painting the entire door black. You can also replace with new door knobs and hardware if you wish.

Don't you just love how this door makeover turned out?! I'm obsessed with the classy black doors and love how pretty the addition of trim makes these once-boring doors.

Emily Counts

• Janet B

They came out crazy good!!!

• Donna Gruska

Could this be done on hollow core doors?

• Kathie

I agree glue but also be careful when sanding, if you are going to use an electric sander DON’T unless you are a professional or have done it before it is very easy to sand right through the door !! A sanding block works really well .. good luck

• Phyllis Shook Forrest

How wide was the molding you put on the door?