Homeroad
Homeroad
  • Huntington, NY

Corrugated Metal American Flag

$5

When I found this corrugated metal piece at the craft fair I thought of a flag right away. The hills and valleys in this metal piece would be perfect for flag stripes!

corrugated metal american flag

I found this piece at Tuesday Morning and it was pretty cheap, about $6.00 so I thought it would be a great pallet for a project I had in mind. I wanted to make an American Flag on this piece and given that it is corrugated, it almost looked striped already. 

corrugated metal american flag

I started out by taping-off the stripes using 1" thick Frog Tape. I actually find that Frog Tape works better than any of the other painter's tapes to get a clean line. 

corrugated metal american flag

I painted between the stripes with a couple of coats of white paint and when it dried I removed the tape. I actually almost stopped right there... I loved the neutral look of the galvanized steel and the white. Once the white was completely dried I hand-painted the red stripes. I was afraid the tape might pull off the white paint on metal so I painted the red stripes by hand. 

corrugated metal american flag

My first thought was to stencil the stars with a star stencil I purchased recently but when I tried, it really didn't work out because of the corrugated grooves. I ended up painting the whole field solid blue. I almost left the field just blue but then had another thought, I masked off all but the blue section of the flag and laid down my star stencil. 

corrugated metal american flag

Holding a can of chalky spray paint directly over the top of the star stencil, I painted the stars. I used quick bursts of paint and tried hard to keep the paint can directly above the stencil.  I wasn't too surprised to find out that the stars were not perfect. Using a stencil on corrugated material was a challenge but I have to say I liked the way it came out. All the stars on the top of the bumps were perfect and the ones in the valleys were blurred. 

corrugated metal american flag

The flag came out amazing in the end and was one of the first things to sell at my local craft fair.

You can read more about the details and the oops moment by visiting Homeroad.net and the post by clicking on the GO BOX below.

Homeroad