Back Yard Barbecue Time,

$0
12 Months

This “ Jenga “ project took me a year to complete. I am all about free.....so patience and time I do have. 😁 I am a volunteer at habitat for humanity. So collected my wood there.

back yard barbecue time

I collected 2x4s for a year at the building sites. Took a long time as the scraps are few. Habitat does not waste good lumber.

back yard barbecue time

Cut into 10 1/2” lengths. 54 of them for now. Will add up to 72 for larger game.

back yard barbecue time

The next step is to sand all sides, then sand some more. I used my palm sander with 120 grit sand paper. Don’t worry about imperfections, just make any cracks or splits concave so hand slides smoothly across the wood.

back yard barbecue time

Next I added some color. I watered color down to the consistency of....... well water.

back yard barbecue time

After applying paint I hand sanded with 220 grit paper. Clear wax was then applied as finished coat. Above colors left to right teal, blue, dark wax, clear wax, and white.

back yard barbecue time

Here is the assembled project. Smooth and easy to slide. People tend to gather around the game and enjoy conversations.

• Shirley Hearn

My husband and I built a giant Jenga game a few years ago to play at an adult gathering we were having. We also built a table to put it on so that it wouldn't be sitting directly on the ground. We have used it many times over the years and find that if we wax it occasionally the blocks slide easily.

• Giselle

I like the different colours!