Lynnette Soltwedel
Lynnette Soltwedel
  • Tutorial Team
  • Spartanburg, SC

Desk Do Over

$100

So, I picked this piece up from the Habitat Restore to give a facelift for an art show. The projects are to be auctioned off to benefit our local Habitat for Humanity! I walked the whole store a few times, but this piece spoke to me. I love it when that happens. 😊

desk do over

Here she is...sitting in the restore, hoping that somebody can see the potential. I could totally see it!! A little updating and a whole new life...

desk do over

After wiping down with a damp rag, the sanding begins! I love using an orbital sander when I plan on staining anything. I start with a 120 grit, wipe down, and finish with a 220 grit for a smooth finish.

desk do over

Since I also wanted to stain the top...I followed the same sanding routine for it. Look how pretty!

desk do over

After sanding, wipe off any residual dust, and stain away! I chose early American for this piece. Personally, I just apply with a paper towel! Just don’t forget to wipe off any excess stain in about 15 minutes.

desk do over

I followed the same steps for staining the top...look at that!! Now I have a surprise coming up, so keep reading!!

desk do over

For this piece, I had a friend recommend “Jack Pine,” which is a Benjamin Moore paint color. Once I saw it...I was onboard.

desk do over

Two coats required, and totally worth it. That surprise I mentioned is coming up....

desk do over

Not the surprise just yet...BUT the hardware needed a little love as well. Rose gold to the rescue!! After two light coats of spray paint, I sealed the pulls with a matte spray finish.

desk do over

Here is the surprise!! I ordered this Prima design transfer to use on this piece! The original plan was to apply the entire transfer to the top, but alas, it was too big. After a little planning, the decision to cut the transfer and still use it was made.

desk do over

Well, if we had to cut that world map apart...maybe, just maybe, some could be applied to the drawers?! This was my first time using a transfer, and it was easier than you can imagine. Decide where it is going, CAREFULLY peel back off, and apply. Burnish it with the enclosed stick and gently remove plastic film. Some light sanding to make it blend in...and then you can apply a top coat. I decided to go with Dixie Bell GatorHide.

desk do over

Did I mention it is a forward facing desk? So, a finished “back.”

desk do over

All done!! Next piece with a transfer, I will get a video of that being applied. What do you think?! I love it. Hope it fetches a pretty penny in the auction.

• DeeJa

Let us know how much you paid for it and how much it brings in! Stunning!

• Joanie

On my side of the fence.....the paint looks real good, but the transferring of the map decal is not showin' up well, or is it my eye sight?????????????

• Lynnette Soltwedel

Yes, Bryan is right! It took a little sanding to achieve the look. The goal was to make it blend in and look natural...and less like something just stuck on it.

• Glenys
    9 hours ago

JD Powers what site did you get your printouts and what type of paper and ink did you have to use.

• Lynnette Soltwedel
      31 minutes ago

I used a rub on transfer by Prima ReDesign. There is a link to purchase, via Amazon, in the “resources for this project” section of the post. 😊

• JD Powers

I like it! You did a great job! Similar to the one I did for my son, but I didn't use Transfers, I used print outs of free images online. I like seeing this type of refinishing... gets the creative juices flowing! Great Job!

• Carol de la Fuente

This looks beautiful!!! Fabulous job and I love everything about!!!