How do I get rid of moles?

+8

Never had until my neighbor got 2 dogs, so now the varmits are coming into my yard. My cat will patiently wait for voles but no interestin moles. Dangerous too in that the yard has caved in spots from last year's moles.

• Gail Junkins Gail Junkins on May 22, 2019

Good luck! I've tried everything. Nothing works. Now I have chipmunks along with the voles, moles, squirrels and by far the worse is chipmunks. I thought they lived in trees; not underground. But they don't. I have holes everywhere in my front and back yard. I worry it will some day cave in also.

• See 1 previous
    • Oliva Oliva on May 23, 2019

Hi, Gail,

The chipmunks tunnels can wreak havoc on small concrete slabs, so try crushing some mothballs and push them into the tunnels with a sturdy stick. Follow this with whole moth balls, pushed into the tunnel, then block the entry and exit points with a brick or similar. You can also try pouring essential oils of eucalyptus, combined with some Dawn liquid dish soap down tunnel entry/exits, but you must follow this by plugging the holes with larger gravel and rocks or bricks.

Try spraying your yard with a combination of cheap whisky, Lemon scented dish soap, a small quantity of chewing tobacco that has been left to set in a gallon or two of water, and some cloves, which have also been sitting in boiled water for an hour.

Filter out sediment and then fill your hose end 20 gallon sprayer with the liquids and saturate your lawn, etc.

Best to do this in the evening or early morning hours, on a day when no rains are expected and there is no wind.

• Val7394925 Val7394925 on May 23, 2019

scented dryer sheets.

• Angie Angie on May 23, 2019

Had a neighbor put some sort of sonic device in the ground, and we had no more moles.

• Marian Reed Marian Reed on May 23, 2019

Bubble/chewing gum. They can't digest it.

• Gail Junkins Gail Junkins on May 23, 2019

That didn't work with sticks of Juicy Fruit chewing gum.