How do I get rid of black raspberry bushes?

Nancy TurnerCelebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)Ken Erickson
+2

Over 100 feet of evil, tearing, black raspberry bushes have taken over the bottom of my backyard. Too wild and seedy for humans too enjoy I had left them for the birds to enjoy. " Give them an inch and they'll take a mile" definitely refers to these shrubs. They send shoots 10 feet out into the lawn while grabbing skin and clothes with impressive thorns when I mow near them.

• Ugh, that sucks!! Check out this page. Also this post about bush removal.

• Kat

share with others

• Ken Erickson

Agent Orange should work, but I don't think you can buy that since Viet Nam war. Heavy equipment may be needed to dig up and remove the canes and roots.

1. Cover the area around the plant. Place a covering around the area in which you plan to remove the blackberry plant. ...
    2. Cut the stems. ...
    3. Bundle the stems for disposal. ...
    4. Dig up the root ball. ...
    5. Remove the root ball. ...
    6. Till the soil. ...
    7. Cover the soil. ...
    8. Repeat tilling.

• Nancy Turner

Cut the vines down close to the vine and use a strong weed killer to paint the raw wood. Do it a section at a time so you make sure you get them all. It may take a couple of applications since they are very tenacious, just make another cut off the top and paint it again. It may take time, but eventually it should get rid of them. I get wild grape vines from a neighbors yard into my veggie garden edge and once in a while I will do that to some that keep growing back. I did it to an old lilac tree that was too old and not doing well. I kept getting new growth from the stump and that took care of it.