Bruce
Bruce
  • Swansboro, NC

How to create low voltage deck lighting?

WilliamKelli L. MilliganKen Erickson

North Carolina sun is eating the solar post light photo cells and rechargeable batteries. Spending a lot of time and money to keep the lights on. My dilemma is our deck is 135’ long ((that’s not a misprint). Based on this length we need at least 135’ or low voltage wire, 10-12 low voltage lights, so 10-12 connections at various distance. How powerful a transformer will be required and what other style light fixtures are available for use at the corners to accent the deck? We can’t seem to find a DIY kit to accomplish this task, so we need a project take off to individually purchase the required item. Can you help.

• Ken Erickson

Check with the home center for kits. The kits should have ratings on their power supplies. The wire and lights are all available. You may even need more than one power supply, but I used to a lot of lights at my old house. The new LED lights don't use a lot of power.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Visit a stand alone lighting store, they should have the things you need and can help you

Ours love folks who do it themselves and are,very helpful.

Check out the low voltage lighting department in homecenters. Different transformers for different light voltage and wattage.