Removing Old Paint From Terracotta Pots and Repainting

$10

Hey guys, today I'm sharing a recent budget-friendly project I did. If you love to paint pots like I do, you have probably encountered chipped paint. Especially on outdoor pots. I left this one outside over the window (oops, don't do that), and it fought a hard battle with the cold, rain, and snow. It lost, though. :)

Here's what it looked like this spring:

The first thing I did was take a putty knife and scrape off all the bigger loose chunks. Then I used my orbital sander and a lower-grit sandpaper to sand off the rest of the paint.

I wiped the piece down with some paper towels. Between the paint and clay dust, it was a mess! I didn't use any water because I didn't want to have to wait for it to fully dry—I was ready to knock this project out. I gave it a few coats of a waterproofing sealer.

Then I gave it a few coats of white paint. I said I wasn't going to do the white paint again because it shows everything...buuuuuut it just looks so crisp and nice! :)

If you like this project and want more details, click the link next to my pic below. I've got a video showing the process since it's kind of hard to take pics. I also have a post up about everything we've done to prep our tiny backyard for spring and summer...and definitely check out the full tour of our tiny townhouse backyard oasis!!

I hope this helps you if you want to customize an outdoor clay pot.

By Brittany Goldwyn

• Jane Doe

Beautiful. Just like new and you'd pay a bundle for this at the store.

• Val

I love this, waste not, want not! Great job.