Pompom Door Mat

$25

Give your front porch a fun bit of color and texture with the pompom door mat project. You can make it in any color combination.

This mat will work best on a covered porch or patio because it will eventually get damaged by rain. You can also replace the pompoms periodically if they start to get flattened out.

Gather up your supplies, and have them all ready to go.

Cover your work surface, and spray paint the door mat. You'll have to do a few coats, especially with a light color.

Note: It's easier to start with a blank mat so you don't have to add a zillion layers to cover up the design.

Block off the middle with paper and painter's tape, and then spray color on both ends. Do a few coats for good coverage.

Use a drill to drill evenly space holes along the two short ends. It's easier to drill through the back of the mat. Use a big drill bit.

Use a pompom maker to make a whole bunch in whatever color you want. Leave long tails on them.

Use a crochet hook to thread a tail through a drilled hole. Tie the two tails together super tightly with a double knot.

As you can see my pompoms were spaced with a little space in between. You could pack yours closer together or alternate colors for some variety.

Shrimp Salad Circus

• Rita Pannunzio

is there an outside paint for rugs that could be rolled on?

my rug is huge and may not be cost effective to use spray paint??

btw your rug turned out so cute!

• Shrimp Salad Circus

I'd probably go with Liz's suggestion, Rita! I've used a latex paint indoors on a flat weave rug to good effect.

• Paymetotellyou

How about posting a photo of the finished product? Please

• Tracy

There are pix of full (cute!) rug on her blog. Link is above where it says, “Want more details about this...”

• Mia Durand

Did you seal the paint at all after it was dry? Wondering if, without a sealer of some sort, flecks of paint would track in the door over time.

• Shrimp Salad Circus

I didn't, but it would probably be a good extra step. I never had any paint tracking in the house. The finish just eventually started to wear away over time.

• Barb

Great clever idea that EZ to do. Can you post the finished photo at the door.👏🏼👊🏼💡

• Teresa Harrison Harrell

So cute.. but I am afraid my dog would love it too much!