Cheap But Pretty Water Play Table for Kids

$25

This is a project I knew I wanted to get done ASAP this spring. My daughter is one and a half, and she is BUSY! She loves water play, and I love anything that keeps her occupied for longer than 5 seconds. If you've got any little ones in your life, this is a great project to tackle.

I designed these plans to accommodate very specific cheap plastic Sterlite tubs. So if you want to follow this exact tutorial, you can click the link at the bottom of this post near my pic and get all the details.

I used pocket hole joinery to build this table. If you don't have a Kreg Jig or other pocket hole system, you can just use good ol' fashioned wood screws. I love pocket holes because they give a very finished look and strong joints.

Here's a shot of me putting together the top frame. This frame is designed specifically for the $3 plastic bins I chose. This took a while to get right and was a little frustrating. But the measurements are solid now.

Next I began building the base. I made it a bit taller than I would have normally because I want my daughter to enjoy this for a while. She can still easily reach the bins. I just built this like any other table, with a bottom apron for support and four legs. Pocket holes made throwing this piece together really easy!

Here's me finishing up the base. One last support piece underneath in the middle to help with the weight of the water tubs.

I filled the visible pocket holes with wood filler and finished this using an exterior finish we used on our wood shed last year. It looks seriously chic, and I estimate I only spent about $25 bucks on it. We put a few balls in, gave her a few cups, and she went nuts! The perfect outdoor project for busy little ones.

Here's my little sweetie and my stud enjoying it!

If you want to build this, click the link below next to my pic for all the details, printable plans, a video, and more pics! Or just use this as an inspiration for your own.

If you like fun woodworking projects for kids, check out the doll house book case I made for my daughter. And if you have a tiny yard like I do, check out what we've done to maximize space in our tiny townhouse backyard!

By Brittany Goldwyn

• Kay

Can i paint my porch floor a painted rug

1 comment

My kids are all grown up and so is my granddaughter. But this table would make a great display table with a little modification. Great share.