How should I treat a powder fungus on my crown of thorns plant?

BetsyJoy30150932Ken Erickson

I put my Crown of Thorns plant outside for the first time this Spring and it developed a powdery film on its leaves the first night

• Ken Erickson

I would check with a local nursery for advise.

• Joy30150932

If you watered when the sun was going down and the plant was wet all night then that is what caused the mildew to start so rapidly. Most plants need to be dry when they settle in for the night. You could try a bit of baking soda in some tepid water to see if you can get rid of the mildew. Rinse after a few minutes.

Hi Dale: Milk has been getting a lot of good press as an anti-fungal spray, specifically against powdery mildew on cucumbers and squash. It might work on your Crown of Thorns, too. Mix 1 part milk to 2 to 3 parts water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution onto the leaves of plants, preferably unaffected plants, when the plant is in bright sun. Good luck