Turn a Desk Into Nightstands

$125
Advanced

Do you need a pair of small, but tall nightstands or end tables? Most vintage nightstands and end tables are super short, and it's hard to find a pair these days!

We have the solution though! Find an old desk, and take it apart! Here's how!

Get all of the details, supplies used, and more pictures of the process here.

This is what our desk looked like before. It was a craigslist find, and I really hoped there were going to be 8 legs to this desk so it would be an easy makeover.

When I went to pick it up, I was bummed to find out that at some point two of the back legs were cut off.

But I was already determined to make this desk into nightstands. So I bought it, and came up with a plan to add new legs so each end could stand on it's own.

First I removed the back paneling, unscrewed the top, and then removed the middle wood braces.

I also removed what remained of the legs that had been cut off. Of course this is optional if you are able to find a desk or vanity that already has 8 legs.

When the demo was done we were left with a few holes and damage to repair.

As for the legs, I found some similar legs at the store, cut them to the right size, and cut notches to match the old legs.

Then I glued and nailed the legs into place.

After the construction was done, I prepped the new nightstands for paint and painted them in a few coats of General Finishes Seagull Gray.

I also cut new wood tops and stained them in a dark gray walnut stain.

After everything was dry I screwed on the new tops, using the old screws and the old holes from the old top.

Now these matching nightstands are perfect for a small bedroom, or living room!

• Thrifted desk
  • Hammer, screwdriver, oscillating tool, pliers
  • New legs

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Natalie

• Gale O'Neal

Question: What will you make with the middle part? A floating shelf perhaps?

• Johndiy

I'm a little confused about the legs. Did you use the old ones or buy all 8 brand new ? I love your idea and like everyone, we need different night stands. Thanks so much, John DuBois

• Susan QC

The desk had 6 legs. She said that in the post She needed two. She said that in the post. She added two legs in the back. She said that in the post.

• Sue

This is awesome makeover, but I liked the pulls that were on it originally and what did you create with the middle piece? My sister took an old 1930s vanity table, the kind with the huge round center mirror and low middle piece. She also cut them apart and painted them white for her daughter's twin beds. This was in late 1960s. Wish I had kept that vanity (it was given to me and my husband when we first got married by his mother when we needed furniture to fill our apt). Thanks for sharing this, love it.

• Subha

Creative 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

• Mary Russell

Cant you just imagine someone buying these taking them home and getting a brain storm by making a top for a great desk?

• Susan QC

Isn't it great how these Hometalkers make something they need out of something they DON'T need? I'll bet there's a post on here somewhere that shows how to turn a couple of old night stands into a great desk! That's what I need.