DIY Vintage Gas Can Planter

$10

This is something that randomly popped into my head to do with an old gas can we had in the garage. I asked hubby if it was do-able and he said, "Add it to the list". LOL the list is long but he's a good sport!

First off be sure it's empty then wash it out to be sure no gas because you'll be cutting the top open and sparks will be flying.  Flamage would be bad!

Using an angle grinder cut the top off. Notice there are sparks flying. Keep alert and take your time.

Use your feet to hold it in place if it moves about.

It's going to have sharp edges soooo....

Hammer the sharp edges down. I'd advise gloves but hubby lives dangerously sometimes. It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt.

That helped but further smoothing the edges helped...

Sandpaper (on a drill is easiest). You could duct tape the inner rim for further safety.

Also drill some bottom holes for drainage when the flowers are watered or it rains.

I purchased a 10 inch basket plant (hey there are good deals during the holidays!) and it fit nicely on top without falling in! I really like the red and yellow dahlias because they match the colors of the gas can.

It was an easy project with just an unusual container and flowers. I'll include the tools used in the materials list below.

Now to set this in front of the garage!

Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Everything Red For Canada Day