DIY Vintage Gas Can Planter

$10

This is something that randomly popped into my head to do with an old gas can we had in the garage. I asked hubby if it was do-able and he said, "Add it to the list". LOL the list is long but he's a good sport!

diy vintage gas can planter

First off be sure it's empty then wash it out to be sure no gas because you'll be cutting the top open and sparks will be flying.  Flamage would be bad!

diy vintage gas can planter

Using an angle grinder cut the top off. Notice there are sparks flying. Keep alert and take your time.

diy vintage gas can planter

Use your feet to hold it in place if it moves about.

diy vintage gas can planter

It's going to have sharp edges soooo....

diy vintage gas can planter

Hammer the sharp edges down. I'd advise gloves but hubby lives dangerously sometimes. It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt.

diy vintage gas can planter

That helped but further smoothing the edges helped...

diy vintage gas can planter

Sandpaper (on a drill is easiest). You could duct tape the inner rim for further safety.

Also drill some bottom holes for drainage when the flowers are watered or it rains.

diy vintage gas can planter

I purchased a 10 inch basket plant (hey there are good deals during the holidays!) and it fit nicely on top without falling in! I really like the red and yellow dahlias because they match the colors of the gas can.

It was an easy project with just an unusual container and flowers. I'll include the tools used in the materials list below.

Now to set this in front of the garage!