Mawhelan16
Mawhelan16
  • Ireland

How to put EPDM on concrete flat roof?

Ken EricksonCheryl WilliamsenMawhelan16
+3

I have a shed with a concrete roof approx 14' x 8'.

I want to put an EPDM rubber roof on it.

I first want to affix OSB sheets to it - but on battens.

I need to know if it needs to be damp proofed prior to affixing battens.

Thank you in advance.

q how to put epdm on concrete flat roof

You can use a clear concrete sealer just for added protection and prevent it from breaking down in the future. Spalling, flaking, etc. Make sure the battens are pressure treated for moisture resistance.

• Mawhelan16

Thanks.

• Cheryl Williamsen

To add to Williams’ point, Make sure the battens make a significant amount of slope increase. Another one percent, or even 2% will make all the difference in the world.

As you know OSB is not water resistant, and I don’t believe it’s available in an exterior grade. So I’d make sure all the exposed edges are not only flashed but also counter-flashed in some areas.

• Ken Erickson

We use OSB sheeting for walls & roofs (pitched) on Habitat for Humanity projects. All of these have moisture barriers and siding/asphalt shingles. As stated above, ensure you build in a slope per local codes and weather expectations.