How do I clean the burnt bottoms of pots?

Kelli L. MilliganBetsyCindy
+2

I saw a hack here that used hydrogen peroxide? and salt or vinegar. Does anyone have the formula?

• Cheryl Williamsen

Do you mean the bottom that you cook in, or the backside of the pot?

The backside of the pot, are use an SOS pad and an abrasive like Ajax.

If the inside is stainless steel, then you can use the same method on it.

If it is Teflon coated, and it is burned, then it is time to throw away the pan. Peeling, flaking, and damaged burnt Teflon is toxic.

• Cindy

Hi Grandma Lyn. I looked at some posts from the past. There were several to see. I found one that said to spray the pans with hydrogen peroxide. Then put on a layer of baking soda . Let it set overnight then wipe clean. Grandma, if you ever want to look at old posts, click on the small blue house at the top of this page, left-hand corner. Or you can write a few key words in the search bar to the right of the blue house (that's what I did). Also, check out "Explore Projects" for even more.

• Grandma Lyn

Thanks. I didn’t know about the blue house. I’m going to try to clean the pans outside bottoms tomorrow.

Hi Grandma Lyn: If it's gunk on the inside of the bottom of the pot, what I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste and put it on the gunk. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. There is no smell and it is environmentally safe. Good luck. If you're trying to clean a copper bottomed pot, finish it off with Barkeepers Friend. Good luck.

• Kelli L. Milligan

It was a paste made with salt and vinegar to scrub with. If doest work, use oven cleaner on the back/ bottom.