Virginia B
Virginia B
  • Fayetteville, GA

Secret Garden Art

$10

Got scrap wood? Make art! There's always a project of some kind going on at my house, so there's also a lot of scrap pieces of wood. It's nice because whenever a project design comes to mind, I usually have what I need to complete it. And, when an idea hits me I get impatient and want to get it done.

secret garden art

For this project I started with an 11" x 14" piece of wood and painted it with the color, Buttercream, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.

secret garden art

I used Dixie Belle's Gator Hide as a decoupage medium. I added the Gator Hide to the back of wrapping paper and to the painted wood. I worked quickly so the Gator Hide wouldn't start to dry.

secret garden art

Once I placed the wrapping paper onto the wood, I used a brayer to smooth out any bubbles and wrinkles. I tore off the excess paper from the edges of the wood.

secret garden art

I painted a metal secret garden plaque with the Buttercream paint.

secret garden art

To make the details of the plaque stand out, I used my finger to add gilding wax to the raised areas using the color, Anastasia. I then screwed the plaque onto the lower section of the wood.

secret garden art

I screwed a hose clamp onto the wood, then inserted a mason jar that I painted with the Dixie Bell color, Peony.

secret garden art

The jar is perfect for holding flowers, a candle, or for using as a planter.

Virginia B

• Sheila

Wonderful! Did you have to put a sealer/Gator Hide on the front side of the paper? Thanks for inspiring!!

• Jeanne Martin

If it is kept outside of course some type of sealer is needed to protect the wrapping paper. Poly, outdoor mod podge or any sealer of your choice could be used.

• Kay Cloninger Kirby

What did you use to hang it

• Virginia B

I used the sawtooth picture hangers that don't require nails. You just hammer them in.

• Stephanie

Hi Virginia! This is so pretty and unique! I'm really liking the gilding wax. It looks so nice on the sign. Is it easy to work with, and does it need to be sealed? I can see where it could get a messy, at least if I was using it! Thanks!

• Virginia B

Thanks Stephanie! The gilding wax is easy to use. You just rub it onto your finger and apply it. It's not messy... you can remove what's on your finger with soap & water.