Secret Garden Art

$10

Got scrap wood? Make art! There's always a project of some kind going on at my house, so there's also a lot of scrap pieces of wood. It's nice because whenever a project design comes to mind, I usually have what I need to complete it. And, when an idea hits me I get impatient and want to get it done.

For this project I started with an 11" x 14" piece of wood and painted it with the color, Buttercream, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.

I used Dixie Belle's Gator Hide as a decoupage medium. I added the Gator Hide to the back of wrapping paper and to the painted wood. I worked quickly so the Gator Hide wouldn't start to dry.

Once I placed the wrapping paper onto the wood, I used a brayer to smooth out any bubbles and wrinkles. I tore off the excess paper from the edges of the wood.

I painted a metal secret garden plaque with the Buttercream paint.

To make the details of the plaque stand out, I used my finger to add gilding wax to the raised areas using the color, Anastasia. I then screwed the plaque onto the lower section of the wood.

I screwed a hose clamp onto the wood, then inserted a mason jar that I painted with the Dixie Bell color, Peony.

The jar is perfect for holding flowers, a candle, or for using as a planter.

25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Virginia B

• Kay Cloninger Kirby

What did you use to hang it

• Virginia B

I used the sawtooth picture hangers that don't require nails. You just hammer them in.

• Stephanie

Hi Virginia! This is so pretty and unique! I'm really liking the gilding wax. It looks so nice on the sign. Is it easy to work with, and does it need to be sealed? I can see where it could get a messy, at least if I was using it! Thanks!

• Virginia B

Thanks Stephanie! The gilding wax is easy to use. You just rub it onto your finger and apply it. It's not messy... you can remove what's on your finger with soap & water.

• Robyn Garner

Nice job but I LOVE the secret garden plaque. Where did you get it? Thanks

• E95656

Love this!

• Nanalcr

Great job! I have an old wooden picture that needs to be given new life. I really like this idea, so thanks for the inspiration. Love it