How do I remove and replace the back of these green chairs?

WilliamVicki Whatley-MontefeliceFlipturn
+2

Please help! How do I remove and replace the back of these green chairs? I can’t find the way they are attached. There is a tiny bracket and screw on the bottom but that’s it. No screws in the sides like the black chairs have. I really need to recover them!

q deli chair reupholstered
q deli chair reupholstered
  • Randal

The back may set in an inserted fashion on the side rails, without seeing a pic of the bottom, but that would be my guess. If you take the bottom or seat off, the side rails will more than likely come apart also. They had to put it together some how, lol. Good luck..

• Kelli L. Milligan

I have similar ones. There looks to be an upholstetered panel that could possibly be pried off. Or cut fabric off back to see if it exposes other ways. If same as mine it was made by MTS Seating or chair co. It's a commercial co for restaurant seating. May want to try to contact them or send off to an upholsterer. Hopefully they are still in business. I think MTS stands for metal tube seating or system.

• Flipturn

MTS is Michigan Tube Swagars Company, named for the swaging process by which metal tubing is tapered.

See if this article and diagrams help.

https://www.mtsseating.com/media/455361/disassembly_instructions-stack.pdf

https://www.mtsseating.com/media/598502/inspired_4.pdf

• Vicki Whatley-Montefelice

You need to remove the back from the seat and the backs should slide down. Make sure you remove the old fabric or it won't fit back in.

I am going to take a chance. I assume the backs are friction fit into the frame. Slid into place from the bottom up in the frame. The bracket with the screw just holds the back from dropping, moving and popping out.