Steve
Steve
  • Bellevue, WA

DIY Sheet Vinyl Flooring

$75

Installing a new sheet vinyl floor in a bathroom is one of the easiest ways to update the look of your bathroom. Vinyl is fairly durable, reasonably inexpensive and best of all, you won’t have any grout to clean down the road. You won’t need a bunch of expensive tools to get the job done and by following these simple steps, anyone can achieve professional looking results with minimal effort.

diy sheet vinyl flooring

Here are all the tools and supplies you are going to need. Tape Measure, Straightedge, Utility Knife, Hook Knife, Floor Scraper, Hand Broom, Floor Leveling Compound, Multi-Purpose Adhesive, 1/16” Notched Trowel. For this project, I’m installing the flooring over a concrete slab. For a detailed look at the steps involved with installing over wood underlayment, head over to my blog https://plumbandlined.com/how-to-install-sheet-vinyl-flooring-2/

diy sheet vinyl flooring

You might need to use your oscillating tool to undercut the door jamb to make enough room to slide the new flooring underneath. Use a scrap piece of the vinyl as a gauge to guide the blade.

diy sheet vinyl flooring

With a straightedge, cut a perfect line where the vinyl will hit the bathtub and rough cut the piece at least 6″ larger than the size of the bathroom.

diy sheet vinyl flooring

Spread the multi-purpose adhesive over the entire floor with the 1/16″ notched trowel. 

diy sheet vinyl flooring

At this point you might be wondering if I’m crazy. I just spread the adhesive over the floor and I haven’t even test fit the vinyl yet. That’s right. I’m going to drop the vinyl in and hope for the best. If you too don’t like to live dangerously, you could roll out and cut the vinyl to fit. Then put your toolbox on it to weigh it down, roll back half of the floor, glue that side and repeat.

diy sheet vinyl flooring

Vinyl rolled up with the end that we straight edged earlier against the tub and plenty of excess up the wall. I’m going to roll out just a little of the vinyl and then tip toe down to the bathtub. From there I’ll make sure that the flooring is lined up perfectly with the tub. It’s easy to slide the vinyl around on the wet glue if need be. 

diy sheet vinyl flooring

Now that we know it’s lined up with the bathtub, we can roll it out until it hits the outside corner of the cabinet.

diy sheet vinyl flooring

Press your thumb to find the outside corner of the cabinet.

diy sheet vinyl flooring

Cut diagonally up so as to leave the flooring long on both sides of the cabinet.

diy sheet vinyl flooring

We now have extra vinyl on both the cabinet side and the adjacent wall. We’ll need to find the inside corner.

diy sheet vinyl flooring

Start by making a diagonal cut at approximately 45 degrees to lob the corner off. As you push the vinyl down into the corner, take a little more off and re-check. Repeat as necessary until you end up all the way down on the floor. 

diy sheet vinyl flooring

Now use the back of your hook knife to press the vinyl into the corner all along the edge. You’ll end up with a nice crease clearly marking the cut line.

diy sheet vinyl flooring

Now it’s easy to cut along the crease with your utility knife. Repeat the steps as you work your way around the room. 

diy sheet vinyl flooring

All Done. Enjoy your new floor. To read a more detailed tutorial, head over to my blog https://plumbandlined.com/how-to-install-sheet-vinyl-flooring-2/

Steve

• PamPam

Hi Steve, maybe I missed it, but can this be installed over existing ceramic tile?

• Shonitra

Yes especially if the vinyl is thick or has a texture to it.

• Sunny

Hi, I love this! But I have a few questions, please. If I missed the answers, I apologize. First, can this be installed over laminate? Next, it looks pretty pliable, is it easy to work with? And last, do you have the color/manufacturer? I love the color. Thank you very much!

• Steve

Hi Sunny, I wouldn't install it over laminate, I'd remove the laminate first. Yes it is very pliable and is easy to work with. It's mannington cambridge, color greystone.

• Linda Scholz Lahrs
    31 minutes ago

Can you put vinyl flooring over ceramic tile