Misty Gaines-Johnson
Misty Gaines-Johnson
  • Tutorial Team
  • Wittmann, AZ

Stained Art for My Yard

$25
Advanced

The weather is perfect for being outdoors and working in the yard. I am an artist, and love to do furniture makeovers. My specialty is using wipe on wood stain to create images on pallets and furniture. I love sunflowers, well my sunflowers, lol, they are whimsical and imperfect. I scored a bundle of wood slats at Lowe’s for $20 so I decided I was going to add a pallet wall and stain a beautiful design on it and put it in a section of fence. The video that is attached is more of a viewing video, although I do talk about the process as I stain.

stained art for my yard

Here it is and I am starting the first flower. I had to lay it on two patio tables to work on it because it was so big. The process is called stain shading. You use stain as you would paint to create art. These are not stencils.

stained art for my yard

It’s coming along. I sanded the piece to a 150grit to help the stain look like I wanted it to.

stained art for my yard

I love how it is coming along.

stained art for my yard

It’s up! We just put the fence up. It separates the immediate yard. I planted rose vines on each section of the fence except the one where I put the art piece.

stained art for my yard

stained art for my yard

My hope is the roses will fill in the fence and then I can direct it to go above the piece. I sealed with a heavy duty polyurethane to keep it weather proof, I am sure I will have to do it yearly. I also need to trim off the backer boards that are peeking out the sides. It really is a great conversation piece. To see more of my work and the fun things I do visit my Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

Processing...

Forgive my sniffles, it’s been windy all week and working outside had my allergies screaming!

To see more: //www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Robyn Garner

Have you considered using Marine Varnish on top of your outdoor works? It will last much longer than the 1 year you figure for the basic poly finish.

• Diane D. Deem

I really don’t have a Question, just wanted to say I am jealous of your talent. That is a beautiful work of art. Congratulations

• Lisa

That is absolutely gorgeous.