How do I update a 1980s kithen on a really tight budget?

+4

We have the typical 1980s kitchen with a small foot print, good wood cabinets, stainless one tub sink and linoleum floors. Stove, dishwasher and refrigerator need to be replaced. How can it be updated for as little as possible. We're in a good neighborhood so I want to keep the value up. Any ideas?

• Replace the appliances as budget allows. Change hardware on cabinets, paint. Update lighting if necessary, update accessories or change them around a bit.

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on May 27, 2019

Also change out floor to luxury vinyl wood strips if in budget.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on May 28, 2019

You could paint the walls and change the cabinet hardware! Costs very little and makes a big impact! Here are some more ideas: https://www.aratariathome.com/blog/the-easiest-cheapest-ways-to-update-the-kitchen

• Bushra Bushra on May 30, 2019

Here is how we did it. Might be helpful. Our budget was really tight though.

https://bushraslifestyle.com/before-and-after-kitchen-makeover/

Bushra!

• See 1 previous
    • Bushra Bushra on May 30, 2019

You are welcome! I would talk to a few contractor and researched the property value in the neighborhood as well. If you are planning to sell in the near future just keep the market value in mind. On the other hand if it's a weight bearing wall, then be careful and hire someone to do it for you. Do you have a picture. We sold this house in there days just with all the DIY projects... Good luck and laet me know if you need any help with the plan. I can put one tougher for free.

• Oliva Oliva on May 30, 2019

You might contact some realtors for their input, as they should be most familiar with the neighborhood/what is selling/what does not sell.

Many younger buyers appear to like the open floor plan concept, while other buyers deplore the additional noise, loss of wall space, etc.