Personalized Nightstand Organizer - The Perfect Fathers Day Gift

$5

I say this is a Fathers Day Gift but once my son saw what I was making. He asked if I could make it for him instead. So being the dotting mother that I am I changed the wood letter block to his initial and made for him.

I'll just have to make another one for my Dad. Last year I made him a map trinket dish (see it here) which he loved and still uses.

All you need for this project is:

• 2 scraps of wood. I used bits from some old floor boards I had but pallet wood would work well too.
  • Tin can
  • Small bit of a branch
  • Woodblock letter - you can normally buy these cheaply at thrift stores or even on Amazon.
  • Old road maps
  • Small bit of copper wire

The first thing I did was saw drill a hole into one of the pieces of wood. You want a hole that is just large enough to fit the tin can.

Next glue the 2 pieces of wood together. I use grip tape to hold them together whilst the glue dries. Once dried I sanded and waxed this wood base.

I then drilled a small hole into the top of the wood block letter. I inserted the the wire into this hole. The top of the wire was curled like a paperclip so that it could hold a photo.

Using a hexagon hole punch. I cut out bits of road maps. If you use maps of places that are special to the recipient it will add more thought to the gift.

Using decoupage glue, I stuck these maps to the tin can. Maps are a great way to personalize things, you should check out the map rock key chains (see them here) I've made for gifts before.

Next the small piece of branch and letter block were glued to the top of the wood.

All that was left to do was to add the map tin can coin caddy to the hole. The branch acts as a watch holder and the letter block as a photo holder. For more details and photos visit the blog post link at the end.

Claire at Pillarboxblue