Upcycled Faux Priceless Chinese Vases

$5

One of my favourite things to do with old tin cans is to upcycle them into planters. Last year I create a riot of colour in my garden with my collection of Marimekko tin can planters (see them here). However, I think this years tin can planters have surpassed those. I have sorted of created an optical illusion with these planters so that they actually look like priceless Chinese vases (kind of!).

I used extra large tin cans for this DIY. If I don't have any catering size tin cans just ask at my local cafe and they happily give me theirs.

First thing to do after removing the lables is to spray paint the tin cans a bright blue colour. You want to choose a blue paint that is similar to the blue you get with blue and white Chinese porcelain.

On my blog (link at the end), using photos of real antique vases I created these large printable vase images. You can download them for free from the blog.

It's best to print these vase images using a laser printer. I get mine done at my local print shop. However, if you have to print them at home on an inkjet printer, spray the images with an artists fixative (otherwise they might smudge).

Carefully cut out each vase photo from the background paper.

Next, using a decoupage glue such as Mod Podge stick the paper cut out vase to the front of the tin can. Then spray the whole tin can with an acrylic varnish spray. This will protect your tin can planters from the elements.

I spray 2 coats of varnish for extra protection.

All that is left to do is to choose flowers for your Chinese vase planters. I think blue flowers look great in the vases.

I love how these faux priceless Chinese planters look. They look fabulous in my back garden.

If you are looking for something other than planters to make from tin cans of different planters, you should check out this popular wind chime.

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Sheila

what are those blue flowers you used?

• Lisa

blue Gentiana scabra and deep purple Senetti.

• Cindy Lynch

Do you have issues with the cans rusting on the bottom and leaving rust rings on your shelves? I saved a bunch of coffee cans to use for planting, then thought the bottoms would rust and, also, maybe the cans would draw too much heat in the sun for the delicate roots?