What do I think about painting walls like this?

+6

In a discussion recently I mentioned a friend of mine wanted their walls painted 2 colors a dark color on the bottom third of the wall and a lighter complimentary shade on the upper 2/3rds . Who else has done this? Any pros or cons to doing it ?

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on May 28, 2019

Is this a seamless technique without a chair rail ? Sounds fun. Id say go for it

• Janet Janet on May 29, 2019

Something like this minus the chair rail

• Flipturn Flipturn on May 30, 2019

OK. I see now what you are referring to. Thanks for the picture.

This technique is often used when ceiling heights are unusually tall; the goal being to bring they eye down to focus more on the furniture, rather than having they eye go up to where there may be just blank walls. If the right colors are chosen, it can give the impression that the room is wider than it really is.

One of the hardest parts about painting a wall in two colors, one on top, one on the bottom, is getting the dividing line crisp and straight. If your walls, ceiling join, or baseboards are not perfectly level, it will affect how straight your line will appear. Putting a 'chair rail' or molding trim on the dividing line can help camouflage any crookedness there may be.

• Janet Janet on May 30, 2019

Ok. I just wasn't sure this painting technique was being done still. I think it was around in 2012? Thanks for your input 😊

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 02, 2019

While decorating trends cycle in and out of popularity, as it is your home, yes, you can paint walls like this. Why not? If you like the look, go for it!

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 06, 2021

Hello,

There is nothing wrong with this idea. Make sure you have a straight line to work to and do the lightest colour first as it is easier to cover any slight errors with a darker paint. Use Masking tape to help with that!